I know nothing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help.

Our central heating was turned on, a while back. The radiators were all freezing, except one or two that were luke warm.

We called out a plumber, who advised we had Sludge, and that it had damaged the 9 month old pump.

Today, he replaced the pump, and added chemicals to the water.

I had hoped that when I returned from work, that it would be a little warmer, although I realise the chemicals have 3 weeks to work their magic.

I do now worry that I am £400 lighter in the pocket, and still have no heat what so ever.

Am I being impatient, or have I been kippered?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
kippered, for £400 and the correct diagnosis was sludge, you would have had a powerflush and new pump for less! Get him back if you can :evil:

Sorry but I have to agree.

I would have power flushed the system and installed a new pump for about £400 and not leave your house until all was well.

What was the breakdown in the invoice.
A pump costs about £60 chemicals about £25 so that leaves £310 for labour albeit he has to return to flush out and add inhibitor.

Pete

I paid £50 when he came out to diagnose

Pump = £75.68
Valves = £21.64
Chemicals = 58.62
Labour = £90

+ Another £90 when he comes back in 3 weeks.

Plus VAT.

Is it still possible that the chemicals will right things in a few days?

He said there was no need for a flush as the system did not seem completely blocked.

Sponsored Links
So basically he's changed the pump suspecting it would cure the problem, found it didn't work and told you chemical will solve the problem after 3 weeks?

You believe that? Is he returning to flush or drain the system in 3 weeks?

Youve been had sir!!

The amazing thing is I have rarely come across a system that is blocked!!

What is blocked exactly?. Cold feed blocked, H blocked maybe.Did he show you any signs of gunged up components?
And if something is blocked how is the chemical supposed to get through it to clear it??

Report him to trading standards and Corgi then we can all see him on Rogue Traders next season :mad:

And may I please suggest you hang on for a few days before paying next time. Any self respecting good Gas engineer will be perfectly happy to leave the bill knowing he has done a repair that actually works.

Stan

="pookitherabbit"]Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help.

Our central heating was turned on, a while back. The radiators were all freezing, except one or two that were luke warm.

Combi system or conventional? How long did you give it ? Ten minutes? an hour? Has it been off all summer & you flipped a switch & it didn`t work?

I had hoped that when I returned from work, that it would be a little warmer, although I realise the chemicals have 3 weeks to work their magic.

Jeez!.. Step right up.. step right up.. get your unbelievable cure all magic potion that`s fixes everything..

I
do now worry that I am £400 lighter in the pocket, and still have no heat what so ever.

What do you want ? sympathy..? you obviously have more money than sense, can I interest you in this candle that never goes out?

Am I being impatient, or have I been kippered?

BINGO!!

Many thanks[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back