Worcester 24i (doing my head in)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
its a couple of years old but over the last 2 months have been having problems with HW and CH when you switch it on to HW it makes a strange rattling noise but fires up (most of the time) but recently had no problems with HW for the last 3 days then today i go and switch CH on and within 20 mins it goes off presto no CH and no HW someone suggested that it could be the thermocouple that needs replacing.its a combi gas boiler. hope someone can help my kids bedrooms are freezing

Sponsored Links
i cant believe that 42 times this has been looked at and all the knowledge and no how in here and not a single bit of a reply :cry: :LOL:

You`ll need to give us a bit more info! What happens with the pressure guage, if anything? Is the auto air bleed open on the boiler? Does it sound like it`s boiling the water?

Sponsored Links
RK3A said:
i cant believe that 42 times this has been looked at and all the knowledge and no how in here and not a single bit of a reply :cry:

I can't believe how cheeky some people are.

Demanding free information, whatever next :rolleyes:

If you was that arsed about your kids bedrooms being cold you would have had it repaired by now.

RK3A said:
i cant believe that 42 times this has been looked at and all the knowledge and no how in here and not a single bit of a reply :cry:
How can you not believe something that's right in front of you? What I can't believe is that you've put any thought into how easy or difficult it might be to help you in the utter absense of any useful information.

Take the advice of Npower on keeping your kids warm this winter, send them to bed in a hat and socks! Energy effecient 21st century advice! :confused:

Please read THIS
Please pay attention to items 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, remember point 7 and most important point 9.

To be fair to you I can see that you have tried to tell us whats happening but to help diagnose the problem we need to know more.
Diagnosis can be difficult when the boiler is in front of us, so to expect us to know whats likely to be wrong when we cant do any tests, or get our hands on it ourselves is often asking too much.

Please answer the following as well as the questions asked by strachan earlier in the topic
What is the pressure in your system?
Is the strange rattling noise :
a The fan at the top of the boiler?
b The pump at the bottom right?
c Actually a buzzing noise possibly from the gas valve?
After it goes off how do you get it going again?

AFAIK the 24i doesnt have a thermocouple so at least we should be able to rule that out.

the kids comment was a joke thats my sense of humour sorry if you guys took it the wrong way, havent had it fixed because money is tight with 3 kids and a mortgage and a lazy wife plus its not really that cold just yet but getting there.Not sure where the fan is but pump is bottom right the rattling noise comes from inside where the electrics are not sure from where excactly the reset button on top doesnt seem to do anything so when i goes off i have to switch the mains off and then back on again sometimes i will get hot water first time other times i have to switch mains on and off a few times while running the hot water tap as for the CH when i do get it on it just goes off about 20 mins later then theres no piont trying again with it for awhile its like its overheating or something because if u leave it for awhile it will come back on.Hope this helps and cheers for the advice. oh yes and the pressure is just over 1

should not be the pump as its a twin pass heat ex in the worcester 24i

RK3A said:
the kids comment was a joke thats my sense of humour

I am the only one allowed to post "humourless wit".

Its a bit of a guess but I expect its the gas valve! There are two parts and either could cause the problem but might just be the symptoms of a faulty pcb.

If you use a mechanical stethoscope you might be able to identify which parts is causing the problem.

You should stand on an insulating mat when you poke about inside a live boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back