Advice sought on a failed heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If someone can give me some advice on a problem I'm having with my heating and hot water system, I'd be really grateful.

First the heating failed i.e no hot water getting to the radiators - it's only a small terraced house with four radiators upstairs, three down.
Then the domestic hot water supply failed.

I've just (with a builder cousin) replaced the water pump, thinking that would dot the trick, but although the boiler heats the water, the hot water gets to the pump, which pushes it on and apparently into the adjacent hot water tank in the bathroom, no DHW comes out of the taps, the hot water tank feels cold, and hot water is barely struggling into the first radiator, also in the bathroom.

It's quite an old system, at least 20 years I reckon, but the hot water boiler is OK, and now the water pump is good.

What other problems could the continued lack of DHW and cold radiators indicate?

I thought maybe there's sludge etc in the radiaitors, but they drained OK when we emptied the system to change the water pump.

Any suggestions welcome...

Nick888

Sponsored Links
Are the pump valves both open?

Airlocked?

Motor valves jammed?

Tony

Nick888 said:
If someone can give me some advice on a problem I'm having with my heating and hot water system, I'd be really grateful.

First the heating failed i.e no hot water getting to the radiators - it's only a small terraced house with four radiators upstairs, three down.
Then the domestic hot water supply failed.

I've just (with a builder cousin) replaced the water pump, thinking that would dot the trick, but although the boiler heats the water, the hot water gets to the pump, which pushes it on and apparently into the adjacent hot water tank in the bathroom, no DHW comes out of the taps, the hot water tank feels cold, and hot water is barely struggling into the first radiator, also in the bathroom.

It's quite an old system, at least 20 years I reckon, but the hot water boiler is OK, and now the water pump is good.

What other problems could the continued lack of DHW and cold radiators indicate?

I thought maybe there's sludge etc in the radiaitors, but they drained OK when we emptied the system to change the water pump.

Any suggestions welcome...

Nick888

Time to bite the bullet fellah, maybe upgrade or at least change boiler, it`s on it`s last legs, don`t be conned into a full heating system, if your radiators are o.k. & pipework ( they are sound usually even after twenty years) you don`t need to change them.
Get good advice & do not accept the first quote given, do not pay anything until the job is completed to your satisfaction, ( don`t pay up front for materials). Do not part with a penny until job is complete, any reputable firm/ company will abide by this, & check credentials, ( any monkey could come into your house) Check I.D. & Corgi status.

Sponsored Links
Bamber gaspipe said:
Do not part with a penny until job is complete, any reputable firm/ company will abide by this, & check credentials, ( any monkey could come into your house) Check I.D. & Corgi status.

Well I consider myself fairly reputable and I would not dream of starting a job without a signed contract and cleared deposit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back