How best to box in the bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, the bath in question is acrylic and it's end falls short of the house wall by 6" or so. What is the best practice for boxing out this dead space? Should I arrange the boxing so that when tiled the lip of the bath sits on top of it or should I try to have the tiles level witht he top of the bath?

Just wondered what was the norm in the trade before I go and do it the wrong way.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Don't know what the norm is, but when I did mine I put the tiles under the lip of the bath and left 2 to 3 mm for silcone sealer. This was at the tap end but has never given a problem in 10 years.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks MANDATE, much appreciated. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Cheers

agree with that, the lip of the bath edge is shaped to fit down on something.

Tile before putting the bath on so there's not a crack for water to get down

And make the ledge of marine ply or something waterproof.

Make it strong enough to support the bath when it tries to flex.

You can also put a little hatch or door in the bath panel at that end if you like with a cupboard for cleaning materials, spare loo rolls etc, or access to the shower pump. If electrical in there it must be screwed shut (access only with a tool).

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD.

The end that needs boxing in is the head end i.e. the end without the taps. The shower is at the other end and so water could fall onto this new ledge which is why I was thinking about whether to try to get the top of the boxing level with the bath so water could drain away.

I've found it difficult to seal down onto a bath as they move a bit.

One of those sealing strips with a flexible rubbery fin might do it.

I've found it difficult to seal down onto a bath as they move a bit.

One of those sealing strips with a flexible rubbery fin might do it.
But shouldn't it be just the same as sealing against a wall where the sealant has to cope with the flex of the bath?

At the wall you can put brackety supports to hold the rim of the bath to the wall, to prevent it moving.

Yeah, I have done already. I'm going to try to box it level, the rear of this bath is square so it shouldn't be to difficult.

Here's hoping!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back