High pitched "whistle" from thermostatic radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks - I am getting a high pitched "whistling" noise for 1/2/3 mins when valve has reached temperature and is shutting off. The make is "Westtherm". Any advice/tips/causes would help this complete novice!!

Thanks in advance
John

Sponsored Links
What tune is it? If it`s `Trail of the lonesome pine` by Laurel & Hardy then you require a Powerflush.

bamber is singing the wrong tune.

its most likely the noise from the water rushing through the tightening gap in the valve. if its bothering you replace it with a good quality valve and make sure you put it round the right way.

nickso said:
bamber is singing the wrong tune.

its most likely the noise from the water rushing through the tightening gap in the valve. if its bothering you replace it with a good quality valve and make sure you put it round the right way.

Bamber was jesting :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Bamber gaspipe said:
What tune is it? If it`s `Trail of the lonesome pine` by Laurel & Hardy then you require a Powerflush.

Quite witty for you Bamber.

scatmanjohn said:
Bamber gaspipe said:

I`ve always been witty, you & others have not been clever enough to appreciate it.

My budget Peglar 'Bulldog' TRV's whistle when they are closing.
I think that wax capsule TRV's do this but more expensive liquid capsule TRV's do not - well thats my theory!

Bamber gaspipe said:
scatmanjohn said:
Bamber gaspipe said:

I`ve always been witty, you & others have not been clever enough to appreciate it.

Loser ;)

bster said:
My budget Peglar 'Bulldog' TRV's whistle when they are closing.

As the TRVs close, the flow rate decreases and the differential pressure generated by the pump increases, forcing the valve slightly open; look at any pump flow/pressure curve. This makes the whistling/singing. It usually happens in mild weather when most of the TRVs are throttled down. They usually start tapping or banging if they're installed backwards & most recent ones will work installed either way round.

One radiator, in the room/hall with the room temperature thermostat should not have a TRV; if it's got one, leave it fully open. The temperature in that room is controlled by the thermostat. Otherwise you'd need a differential pressure by-pass valve (Honeywell DU143 ? or something like that) or a variable speed pump (Grundfos Alpha) which slows itself down as the system pressure increases.

scatmanjohn said:
Bamber gaspipe said:
scatmanjohn said:
Bamber gaspipe said:

Loser ;)

UH oh! looks like Kevplumb`s on duty, he`s started to remove me posts already :eek:

++++++++++++++++
Was it a post that was rude and/or bad-tempered and/or abusive and/or not helping the O.P. and/or of no use to anyone?

I sometimes delete them too.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++

Roops said:

Was it a post that was rude and/or bad-tempered and/or abusive and/or not helping the O.P. and/or of no use to anyone?

What you mean a bit like a Moderator? :rolleyes:

I sometimes delete them too.

Big deal, I`m quaking in me boots :rolleyes:

Is it true that you people do this for free? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

How sad. I`m off out now to mingle with friends, I`ll leave you to sweat over your monitor for the next 5/6 hours ;) :LOL: :LOL: later fellah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back