Brick wall tile layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought my tiles for a small en suite over the weekend, and my girlfriend was particularly taken with the arrangement of tiles where the rows are aligned in the same way as bricks, rather than being in line both vertically and horizontally.

Does anyone know of a guide, or have advice on how to set out the tiles like this. I have 4 walls to do, and each is only 1.35 meters long. I think this means it will be awkward at the corners.

This is my forst attempt at tiling, am I asking for trouble trying this, or can I give her what she wants?

Sponsored Links
This is A level stuff for a first timer but, like everything, good planning is the key. Draw the plan on paper first, scaled for the size of tile you intend to use. All 4 corners will probably need every tile cut, so get a quality tile cutter. I would choose the corner in the shower for half and full tiles going in both directions because you do not want any small tiles in the shower, to ruin the effect or to create more grout vulnerable to water than there need be. Two of the other three corners could contine the brickwork style around the corner, but the 4th corner (least one noticeable) will have to be a mish mash of sizes on both walls, unless you use one of the other 2 walls to take up the odd sizes on one of its walls. You will have a lot of snipping to do with the tile spacers if you intend to use them. This could be an oppoprtunity for a box of matches instead.

Don't forget the standard tiling technique which is to fit the 2nd row up from the bottom first, ensuring that it is level on the bubble (with a pencil line drawn around the room that comes back to itself) and no more than 1 tile height up from the lowest part of the bottom of the tiled area (floor?). The bottom row goes in last, trimmed where necessary.

Good luck

I wouldn't go for a full/half in an internal corner unless you have perfectly plum walls.

Set out from the center of the walls , you will end up with cuts of less than 1/2 a tile with this method but there is no way round it, better to keep the wall symetrical or aligned with something else like a tap, loo centerline, etc.

Have a look at the rest of th epics in this album for an idea of how to layout brick bond tiles. Or here if using square tiles.

Jason

Thankyou very much for that. I think I will try a full paper plan, and see how I go from there.

There is no question that the walls are not perfectly square, so as I understand it I am better having the back wall symetrical, and the side walls continuing round. It also looks that I should tile all 4 walls at the same time, rather than one wall at a time.

There is 1 thing I am not clear on though, if I cut 1/3 (or any other amount) of a tile to fit into the corner of one wall, should I automatically use the remaining 2/3 piece to continue round onto the next wall? That seems to make sense, but I thought I would check.

If this is the sace, is there a time where it is better not to do this (perhaps where a thin cut is needed) and I am better putting the remainder of a tile to 1 side, and starting with a full new tile?

Sponsored Links
Do one wall at a time and start each wall from a centre line. Keep all your tile offcuts in a pile so that you can use them later.
I'd also recommend not leaving the tile spacers in. I just stick one prong in and then pull em all out when the adhesive has set up.

If you cut say a 1/3 of tile into 1 corner and then you follow around the corner with the other 2/3 you will have lost the vertical joints meeting up because of the thickness of your tile and adhesive. so cut short into the corner-( thickness of your tiles plus the adhesive )and then butt the other one up, this will only happen if your walls/corners are very good , so you will probably have a lot of cuts to do.

Thankyou once again for the help.

As I said before- the corners are not true, so I guess I can expect a lot of wastage.

Fortunately the tiles themselves are pretty cheap (B&Q urban beige fyi), unlike the adhesive!!

I have been stuggling as the walls are 1350mm wide (with a couple of cm variation), and the tiles are 330mm wide. 4*330mm = 1320mm, which gives me a symmetry problem, but I will work it out!

One thing I was wondering, if I cut an end slice off each end of a tile to fill in at the ends, can the middle bit be used to make a 3rd "short" tile?

Not really. Cut one up, and then you'll see how bad it would look. Usually a tile with a single cut edge goes into a corner where the grouting or sealant will cover it up. A tile without a dressed edge will not work unless both edges meet up with a corner or something similar. Bite the bullet and buy more tiles. In fact, buy loads of them and ensure that they come off the same batch. You will get your money back on any whole packs of tiles that you don't open. As you said, they are cheap.

Andy, you (dont) want to be putting full or half tiles into a corner because when you get furher up the walls which are out you will end up with slithers :cry: Setting out the 'full' room is very important on brick bond so that you try and get that close enough 'full brick/tile' around the corners in every corner. why dont you try your first wall tile say 240mm which will give you a return of approx 90mm on the other wall. after the 240 tile 3x330mm which should leaveabout 120mm into the corner with a return of 210mm. You really need good sized cuts around the corners to allow for the bad walls. There is no right or wrong way but what looks best. These cuts might not work but hope you know where i am coming from with this. good luck ;)

Once again, a big thankyou.

I had worked out I couldn't do full tiles from the corners, and think I have a plan that should work.

However, just to be on the safe side I am going to lay out the batten as if I was going to start tiling, then just use blue tac to hold the tiles in place as a temporary measure to see how they look for a couple of rows. Although it might be wasted time for someone with experience, I think it would be a good way for me to check before I start actually sticking the things to the wall.

I am still waiting for the plastering to fully dry, and have to waterproof, so won't be starting till next week anyway- but I like to be prepared!

Love the idea of the blutack... thats a classic....

My forst tiling job was something sounding very simlar to what you are trying to achieve... i planned on it taking me a week to do a bathroom... ie full weekend and evenings....BUT...... 5 weeks later it was just about finished.

This affect looks great what you see it.... my better half wanted it doing, so I gave it my best shot....like most DIYers..... what the other half says.... you come here and ask if its possible b4 agreeing...LOL

My advice to you would be to get your first row in, make sure its level, and go from there.... every tile i placed was measured for level, and every cut was done when needed.

I also tried with the plastic tile spaces.... Waste of time in my eyes... same as the box of matches.... I used an old cardboard box (Cornflake) will do... cut up into squares, and used two together as a spacer, al round the tile.... As my walls we not the best for straighness, in some places you find to get the level you use 3 bits of card board..... but also.... not all your tiles will be the same size.... trust me.... they wont... some will be millimeters different, so again, the adjusting was dont with extra cardboard.....

for my forst attempt at tiling, im pretty pleased with it.... and so is the better half....

As for a tile cutterm Id recomend the PLASPLUG Tommy walsh dimond wet tile cutter,.... worked perfect for me... just remember to wear them safty galsses, and you do get the odd bit of shrapnel flying towards you at 1000mph.... even with the guard down...

Have fun, im sure you will...

I also found a good supply of Lager or Beer helpfull for when your finihsed for the day.....

Brick bonded tonnes of times and to a very good standard, always used plastic pegs!!! As long as your first row off your batten is level you cant go wrong.

Just an idea :idea: maybe make each wall a panel of brick bond and finish corners with a row top/bottom of plain tiles so that any bends/out of plumb is taken out by the plain "stacked "tiles.....may look crap tho` :LOL:

Hi all,

Just for the record I finished the tiling (got delayed- it didn't really take "that" long), and I'm really pleased with the results. Yes, I can see some imperfections, but they are mainly due to an exterior wall being less than straight, but it looks good to me, and everyone else thats seen it (and most importantly the girlfriend!)

Many thanks- the advice off here has been invaluable

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back