Tiling a kitchen splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When tiling a kitchen splashback, should you tile straight up from the work surface or use a spacer between the bottom course of tiles and the work surface?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
gcol said:
For what purpose would you leave a gap?

'cause it gives a nice big fillet of mastic :D

I tile straight of the worktop then generaly run a small bead of mastic to seal.

Jason

I'm with you on this Jason. The majority of kitchen splashbacks I've been asked to tile have had poorly fitted worktops/bad plastering so there's typically a 6mm gap that appears every now and then between worktop and wall. If you start raising the tiles off the worksurface then the silicone rushes through the gap. You waste silicone, it's harder to apply (cause it doesn't fill the gap uniformly), you have less silicone in contact with the tile and you need a larger fillet (which looks poor).
Sit the tiles on the worktop and you can easily apply a thin bead of silicone that will look more professional and will be a damn site easier to replace if/when it discolours.

As a kitchen fitter and tiler it makes me laugh when people have this problem at the back of there worksurface with this problem of gaps, if the kitchen worktop had been cut and fitted correctly in the first case this problem they would not have lol !!! Try and get the tile as close to the gap so u only have a thin line of sealant from tile to worksurface but like i say THERE SHOULD NOT BE A GAP IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!!! (COWBOY FITTERS) !!! UNLESS THE WALLS LIKE THE WELSH VALLEYS LOL !! THEN GET IT PALSTERED FLAT DONT CUT CORNERS IT MAKES IT TWICE AS HARD !!!

what enforced to me as an old tiler ...

What good tilers Jase b, gcol... are ......respect :)

I've just fitted our kitchen (I'm a suit in a bank by trade so it certainly isn't professional!!) and had gaps at the back of the work top due to gas pipes that would have cost a fortune to move, I got round this by having my dad cut me upstands from an extra worktop we bought, this covered the gap. I am thinking about tiling it myself but have no experiance, any tips where to start? Regarding sockets, do I tile under these? What's the best tool for cutting slate tiles?

Let me know if this is a thread hijack, just seems on topic??

Cheers!

Always good to have a small gap around the bottom of the tiles. You fill it with sealer because it protects the worktop, stops spillages from entering your cupboards, and always gives a nice finish.
Tile grout is not a good idea or cheap sealant, it goes mouldy. Use Unibond bathroom & kitchen sealant it does as it says on the can!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back