How on earth do you Mitre 127mm plaster coving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to put a few pieces of plaster coving in my hallway.
I've just had a dry run on mitreing a corner and can't fathom it at all !!
I've got a couple of internal and external joints to do....any help very welcome please !!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
You can get a tool like a half pyramid :eek: that lays across the concave part of the cove and you cut against one of the sides ;) metal ones for the pros and placcy for diy ..........probably in your local shed now.......otherwise use trigonometry :)

Don't know if they still do but Gyproc used to print a paper template for both internal & external mitres on the back of their sales literature. Cut out the templates, lay them on the coving, draw a line & cut with a hand saw - it worked fine for me for many years; chances are the walls will be out so your going to have to do a little filling anyway!

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to make yourself a mitre box. Fairly easy to make from a couple of pieces of 25x175 timber.

Thanks for your replies gents. I took Nige F's advice and bought a plastic 'pyramid' which works ok (& I mean just ok). There weren't any metal versions. Instructions are v. poor tho'.
Just one last question...how do you mitre a horizontal piece of cove to a vertical one? Is it still the same method? I just don't want to waste more cove experimenting again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back