tiling over pva base??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,I am almost ready to tile my bathroom and have coated walls in diluted pva (as stated on the tub of paste,but read a few posts that totally go against the pva as it drops the tiles off after six months!).
I wonder if that is for all plaster walls or just for ply board,(which I have around the bath also!) Any light on this subject coz people I know seem 50/50 on this one...so Iv come to the experts for any ideas? :eek:

Sponsored Links
a diluted coat of pva will do nothing more than moderately seal (it will still be porus) a freshly plastered wall.

an undiluted coat of pva on a ply background is a different matter.

an undiluted coat of pva on a ply background is a different matter.

But, what would happen if you used undiluted PVA on a ply background?

Sorry, but is it possible to just ask a little question as it's the same subject? Is it bad to use undiluted PVA on a surface prior to applying concrete/ mortar? Already done this and seems a little damp after 1 week.

mikell
I would never recommend builders PVA as a substrate finish , tiles will fail ,
acrylic pva is not bad when the powdered mudmix/MI recommends it ,

Sponsored Links
So I guess I should just go ahead with it then as they advise to use it on the tub of mix,like has been stated in other posts they must check it out first surely before advising to use it!?? :rolleyes:
cheers moz.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back