Gas Fires for Back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope this has not been covered elsewhere. I did try searching.

I want to replace the rather old fashioned and ugly looking gas fire in our dining room.

Im pretty sure I have a back boiler heating system that runs the central heating and the gas fire is connected/integral to that.

(fire has a pilot light, we have a water tank in airing cupboard and big water tanlk in loft. Hence I'm pretty sure this is a back boiler system?)

from looking at B & Q it would seem that all the modern looking gas fires do not work with back boilers.

Is this this the case?

I am correct in assuming that to replace the gas fire i either need to:
- buy another back boiler type fire. (and these all seem to be very large ugly things !)
- tear out fire and back boiler system and replace with combi boiler/new fore etc etc etec = expensive and quite disruptive

Any advice would help. Would prefer a smaller, inset type gas fire that doesnt take up as much space and looks a bit more moder.

jim

Sponsored Links
you are correct in what you assume. The fire in front of a back boiler is not a seperate item, the fire and back boiler unit are classed as one appliance. At one time a few manufacturers used to supply replacement fire front kits but these stopped with the introduction of oxypilots. You can get bbu's with inset fires but they are expensive and the upheaval of a bbu replacement is often more messy (and expensive) than a new combi/fire.

New firefronts are still available from Baxi, some of them are ok, coals and logs behind glass....... but you will still be limited to the outset type. As far as I am aware no one else does replacement fires for their back boilers so if it's not a Baxi some bullet biting may be required.

Sponsored Links
Yeah look like either putting up with the ugly thing or finding a couple of grand for a new combi etc.

My current fire is a baxi and on checking their web site they do have a couple of replacement fires which although better than what I have at £800 - £1000 not that much better! I get a new combi for that although the fitting may be a more expensive and I would need to find a good palce to stick it.
Cheers
Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back