Dishwasher whirlpool ADP4501/5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Following on from seperate post, I have an error code of 11 flashes followed by a pause, what does this mean? The machine is a Whirlpool ADP4501/5

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for that - what does the diverter valve do? diverting what to what - any advice where to find it / test it. Is it possible that I have damaged it when I have taken the thing to pieces or has it simply broken itself?

Thanks sleepyhead very usefull advice

Forget that. I've found more up to date information. Your problem is with the optical water indicator. Remove the filter and sieve. There's a black grid in the bowl, make sure it's clean and free from gunge, be careful as you can easily burst the membrane in there.
Basically, you need to clean everything in the bowl.
Reset the machine by holding the start button till the light goes out and try it again.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean pressure switch? See link below

http://www.4ourhouse.co.uk/cgi-bin/...ry=Whirlpool ADP4501WH&path=67231,47872:67235

Its not optical is it?? I know there is a diaphram and when pressed it simply pushes a common leaf switch which can be removed and checked seperately. I will check this when I get home,
I have pressed it to check its not damaged. Could I have damaged it in this process? If your talking about something else - I am not aware of its presence - I cant find it when I've dismanteled the workings underneath the bowl. Could you please clarify as I have seen no optical sensor - are you sure you've got the correct machine

Thanks sleepy head

It's referred to as an OWI. From what I remember some of these machines have a tubitity sensor in them. Should just be a tiny window somewhere in the bowl. Hence the "clean everything" :LOL:

The fault codes for all Whirlpool Dolphin range dishwashers are the same.

sleepy head,

I think you are correct on sensor side of things. The plastic mesh is a protector and behind it is indeed a diaphram that when pushed activates a switch. I took it apart and tested it by looking at the signals at the circuit board end and filling it up with water - it seems you only need a fraction of total amount of water in the bowl before the switch activates. This surprises me as I would expect that, to within a small tolerance, it would be the switch that tells the chip that there is enough water in the bowl and to move on to the next cycle. However, when reasembling the eror code has gone away - I presume it was a lose terminal connection. I cannot see/find the optical sensor you talk about - surely I could not have missed it - can you be sure it has one?? The machine is a ADP4501/5WH Now the question is how does it know when it is full of water and what sensor does it look at for the next cycle. I am now back to square one! The same symptoms as a request I entered a while ago. However, I now know what is is not! The situation is now...

- No error code messages
- Press start, green light on permentaly, water drains, water fills, then simply pauses for infinite time with no error codes and the light on. Press start again and it simply drains and stops
- Not a problem with NTC sensor (checked this in situ)
- Not problem with 'pressure' switch (checked this in situ)

I have dismantled and taken my circuit board, motor and heating elements to work and had all the components check by an electrical
engineer and there is nothing obviously broken through testing with a DVM. All the major capacitors and resistors seem fine on the circuit board.
What is the answer??? :evil:

What I want to know is what happens once the water fills for the first time.
The chip must check which sensors to know that it is ready for next stage in cycle and then what is the next cycle - what component will be activated next. If I knew this I could single out what is broken. I struggling to believe that its so hard to simply find what is broken! Of well,
I will endevour - I'm passed the point of no return now! lol

thanks for your help and time sleepyhead

In the water matrix there is a small wheel and a reed switch. As water enters it turns the wheel and in turn activates the reed switch. This sends pulses to the pcb. The pcb calculates the pulses and when 2 ltrs of water has entered the machine the pressure switch activates and tells the pcb that 2 litres has entered. The pcb then calculates from the pulses and the time taken to get 2 litres in how much longer it should fill for to obtain the correct level of water. (Prior to filling it will take in water and pump out to clean out the system first).

Once the correct level has been achieved it starts the wash motor.
It should do a pre wash rinse, drain, refill then do a main wash. The heater comes in on the main wash and on the final rinse. (Final rinse is extremely hot and the crockery etc dries from residual heat).

As far as I'm aware the OWI that Whirlpool refer to is actually the pressure switch although top of the range models have a turbidity sensor too.

From the sound of it your wash motor isn't running.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back