Radiant Fire Not Drawing

Thanks everyone, last night I followed all your advice above...

The fire was removed and cleaned as per the instruction manual, and the flue spigot restrictor was removed. I didn't muck about with the thermocouple, pilot or anything like that though. The heat exchanger was in good condition.

I also sealed around the closure plate with the appropriate closure tape.

I carried out a smoke test, which was fine on the cold flue, and then connected the fire up again and did the spillage tests with smoke matchess

I'm happy to say that, this time there was no leakage at all - great and I couldn't have done it without you.

I will remember the advice by many to get rid of the fire, but thats not an option until I can get central heating in, probably a year to save the $$$.

I will get a CO alarm in the meantime though, just in case.

cb9002

Sponsored Links
Gasguru said:
It appears your installer doesn't know what he's doing - I sugest you find someone else. I dis-connect 90% of gas fire I come across - many are poorly installed. Get yourself a carbon monoxide alarm - from recent events the effectiveness of the safety devices fitted to fires may have been exaggerated somewhat.

Just for the record I advised you to get a registered installer to refit the fire - there are more checks than you have done.

Off to PHEX....

cb9002 said:
...........Unfortunately this room only has a patio door and no other ventilation.........

Could this be a clue?......
I thought an air vent is required in a room with a gas fire

No purpose provided vent is required for a gas fire under 7kw gross.

Sponsored Links
cb9002 said:
Thanks everyone, last night I followed all your advice above...

The fire was removed and cleaned as per the instruction manual, and the flue spigot restrictor was removed. I didn't muck about with the thermocouple, pilot or anything like that though. The heat exchanger was in good condition.

I also sealed around the closure plate with the appropriate closure tape.

I carried out a smoke test, which was fine on the cold flue, and then connected the fire up again and did the spillage tests with smoke matchess

I'm happy to say that, this time there was no leakage at all - great and I couldn't have done it without you.

I will remember the advice by many to get rid of the fire, but thats not an option until I can get central heating in, probably a year to save the $$$.

I will get a CO alarm in the meantime though, just in case.

cb9002

What? You may think you know what your doing but are you CORGI? You have reconnected a gas supply to an appliance, other mandatory tests/checks are required.

What size smoke bomb/match did you use and to what BS standard?

Also many open flued appliances such as fires can pass spillage tests under some circumstances, ie weather.

have i missed this !

Did you gas rate the appliance ?

get a corgi man round to check it out .

Arf

Gas2Air said:
OK, my mistake. :oops:
However, looking at the info given by the OP, whilst there may be no LEGAL requirement to provide additional ventilation, there may be a PRACTICAL need for some ventilation to enable the installation to pass other routine tests.
In this case the OP said the spillage problem abated when a door was open.

TicklyT said:
Gas2Air said:
However, looking at the info given by the OP, whilst there may be no LEGAL requirement to provide additional ventilation, there may be a PRACTICAL need for some ventilation to enable the installation to pass other routine tests.

Manufacturer will state any ventilation requirements. Opening a door, window will only indicate a flue/spillage deficiency. How this is rectified is up to the RGI. The OP should leave the fire well alone in my opinion, however.

Gas2Air said:
TicklyT said:
Gas2Air said:

Manufacturer will state any ventilation requirements. Opening a door, window will only indicate a flue/spillage deficiency. How this is rectified is up to the RGI. The OP should leave the fire well alone in my opinion, however.

The amount by which you need to open a window to get a satisfactory test gives some indication of how much ventilation you need to provide

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back