PUMP HOT RETURN PIPE COOL PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i can get some of the rads hot as i go around balencing one rad clacking the thing is the pump on the return is very hot but the 22mm return pipe is cool what could be causing this any tips would be greatly recieved

Sponsored Links
"clacking", that's a new one!

Do you mean your pump is on the return side of the boiler?

Can you get each rad hot by closing the others? If so it sounds like the pump needs replacing, though it could be a blockage.

NEILAIDKEY said:
i can get some of the rads hot as i go around balencing one rad clacking the thing is the pump on the return is very hot but the 22mm return pipe is cool what could be causing this any tips would be greatly recieved

The hot pump and cool pipe suggests that there isn't actually any circulation.

Either there isn't enough water in the system (cold feed pipe blocked with corrosion deposits at the tee where it joins the system) or the pump itself has failed. Pump motor bodies often get VERY hot when they pack up.

Cheers, Mike

Sponsored Links
sorry about the clacking :D don't know what you really call it, anyway yes the pump is on the retun pipe next to boiler and it is very hot but the return pipe is just warm i can get all the rads hot one by one but as soon as i go around bringing them on together it fails not much air coming out when i bleed, upstairs is ok but not down stairs. i have checked the water and seems to be ok the right ammount of water in header tank and that is hand hot, i drained the system down and washed it all through 3 times now and all seems clear, so i will change the pump next, silly question i know but hows the best way to check for a blockage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back