combi boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some help and advise.
I've had a plumber round to look at my plumbing. i need new rads upstairs and i also wanted a shower pump fitted as our water pressure is crap. i have a mixer shower but the cold water is running straight from the mains. the plumber looks at my tanks and i only have a very small cold tank for the central heating and nothing for anything else, does this mean that all my cold runs straight from the mains? he called my system some name that i cant remember but he said that he couldn't put a pump on it cause the hot tank was to small and there is no cold.
he has quoted me 1. to put new tanks in and a shower pump or 2. fit a combi boiler. now the difference is only £50 but what i'd like to know is will i get good pressure from my shower coming straight from a combi?

hope this makes sense.

thanks rob

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have a primatic cylinder if you have only the one tank. Go for the combi -that way you get mains pressure cold and hot water to your shower and problms should be over.

IF IF IF your mains pressure is adequate then yes you'll get a good shower , but unless you go for a monster combi don't expect it to feed more than one hot tap at a time. DOn't go below a 28kW combi.

Measure your total cold flow - all at once, kitchen + garden + other cold taps. You're looking for 20 litres/minute. Phone your water provider and ask them what your pressure should be. (Plumber should have measured it!!!)

Sponsored Links
thanks for your advice. i think i'll go for the combi boiler. but i'll make sure its at least a 28kw.

could anyone give me a rough estimate of how much the following should cost me?

install 3 new rads. pipes need extending.(already have rads)
supply and fit 600x1200 chrome tail rad
change boiler from normal to combi boiler.

thanks

apx £3500 , theres loads of work involved to comply with current regs .

Lots of it you don`t even see for the money you spend , butifits done right it will be cheaper in the end .

Don`t buy on price , buy on Cost .

Arf

arfurrrr said:
apx £3500 , theres loads of work involved to comply with current regs .

Lots of it you don`t even see for the money you spend , butifits done right it will be cheaper in the end .

Don`t buy on price , buy on Cost .

Arf

You got any work for me Arfur?

after speaking to the plumber he said that he planned to put in a 30EH combi. said that this was to big for my central heating but would give me really good hot pressure for my shower.

I'm a bit worried now though after seeing your rough estimate. I'm not even being charged half that price.........

He's done a lot of work for friends so i know he's no cowboy but my price now seems really cheap. should i be worried???

Ignore the price given on here as you should be able to tell by the replies it was excessive . Because someone is cheap it doesn`t make them a cowboy .Someone may be happy making £150 a day some else may want £300 and to be honest you may just have caught him in a good mood or work is slack an he wants to make sure he gets the work , so don`t worry if your friends have no compliants about his work go with him.

Well I've had the combi installed and my shower is just perfect. IMHO the plumber has done an excellent job and i'm very pleased that i went for the combi.

thanks for all your advice!!

Give it a few months, and if you're still happy, pass on his name and number to friends and neighbours.

Ask him for a few of his business cards to hand out.

Remember to call him first when it needs servicing.

Where are you?

You haven't had long yet.

I was thinking give it a bit of time. Maybe something will go wrong and you will change your opinion. The boiler will hopefully last for 10 yeasrs or more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back