lock but no key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a similar problem, but in my case I have a UPVC door with a lock and no key. When I bought the house there wasn't one. As it's on a porch door I have not been too concerned. However, now I want to remove the barrel, but can't without a key. Anyone have any tips? or will I have to get a locksmith to pick/drill the lock? Roughly how much would he charge?

please note forum rules 20 & 9
your post has been split

Sponsored Links
I've edited this post because it was previously absolute b*llocks - I forgot about having to align the cam before withdraing the lock.

Apologies to anyone who was misled by my post.

This post used to incorrectly say:

It probably has a 'Eurolock' - if you can open the door then you can remove the lock with a posidrive screwdriver.

Buy a new lock of the same length (and offset) and fit it.

or will I have to get a locksmith to pick/drill the lock?

If you have a drill and suitable drill bit, you could try drilling the barrel/ cylinder yourself. As long as you have access to the pins, you can level them on the shear line and turn the cam with a straight edged screwdriver.

However, now I want to remove the barrel, but can't without a key.

I presume that the door is locked. I base my advice on this.

I've recently developed a bit of a fascination regarding locks. Changed a couple on our house for the first time last month. Would love to have a go at picking some locks as a recreational activity. I'm all for a challenge :).

Hey you could always try picking the lock yourself :D.

Sponsored Links
Presumably, if it is a UPVC door, the lock is the type which screws to the door edge and locks with four latches and the main bolt. Someone has mentioned the posidrive screwdriver and, yes it is easy to remove the complete assembly. One of my doors developed a faulty lock, quite soon after installation, and the manufacturers were more than helpful in sending a complete lock/latch assembly, with new keys, which took ten minutes to fit. This was under guarantee but I should think that your door manufacturer could supply this assembly at reasonable cost

It's a porch door, so being unlocked burglers can't get in becuase there is a front door that is secure. The porch door is not locked shut. It opens and closes with a turn of the handle, but I can't lock it shut because I don't have the key. It's the kind of lock that when you turn the handle upwards it clicks into lock mode, and then you are meant to turn the key to keep it locked. Otherwise the door still opens. (hope I'm making this understandble!) The barrel seems to be the problem not the locking mechanism. I have seen barrels for sale in shops and they come in 2 sizes. The is a screw on the side of the door that goes through the barrel, but when I removed the screw, the barrel would not slide out. I think a key is needed to remove the barrel cleanly, but not having one, I'm stuck.

There are more than 2 sizes of Euro Cylinder - try 30+, in different finishes, and either keyed both sides or thumbturn on the inside.

Yes, you need the key to remove the cylinder, as the key turns the cam on the cylinder which must be lined up inside the cylinder in order to remove it.

In order to get the right size Euro, and to prevent any damage to the mechanism or door - call a Locksmith, but get a fixed price on the job.

If I were to attempt to drill the lock out (as some of you suggest, I have a decent drill and bit) any advice I should follow. Should I start with a small bit, and then large? Should I go right through from one side to the other? Which side is better to drill through? (inside or out, or either), should I aim the bit through the keyhole?

Everyone is welcome to throw their tuppance in. Thanks.

Work out how much it's going to cost you in time, drill bits, possible new mechanism when you drill through it or bend it, new cylinder etc etc - then weigh this up against calling a locksmith who will have the old cylinder out and replaced within a few minutes. Should cost no more than £40-£60 for both labour and cylinder.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but unless you know how a pin cylinder works, and what you're attempting to do by drilling it, then you could be drilling for hours. The information on how cylinders work, and how to drill, is widely available on the internet - but personally I don't think it's a good idea to post such information in public forums.

I'm also a locksmith, but I wouldn't advise someone on drilling a lock - open forum, email or phone call. You just don't know who you're talking to, or the persons motive.

....person in pub bragging to his mate...."Yeh, finally managed to break into that house, got some geezer off the Internet to tell me how to drill the cylinder...was in and out within 10 minutes....nice TV, should fetch a few quid.

Hmmm.

steady guys, lets not have any falling out. :) I'm having new patio doors fitted, and seeing as how they also fit upvc doors, I'll ask if they can get the lock out. They may know how, and with a bit of luck not charge me ;) If they say no I'll have another ponder.....

No worries - I'd hope we are above the "falling out" - just a bit of banter.

If you don't have any joy, let me know and I'll put you in touch with a locksmith local to you, and one that won't rip you off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back