Blocked Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old boiler (Thorn M30/42B) with a Copperform Coppermatic water cylinder. The radiator in my lounge is blocked, this was confirmed when I removed it and sludge came from the bottom connections. I am looking to flush the complete system, please can anyone advise where and how I put the cleaning chemical into the system to allow me to flush. Can anyone provide a link to a schematic diagram of my system.

Information - I live in a first floor flat and everything (boiler, cylinder and radiators are on the same level) - if this helps

Many Regards
C

Sponsored Links
arfur280 said:
please can anyone advise where and how I put the cleaning chemical into the system to allow me to flush.
additiveqv4.jpg

Can anyone provide a link to a schematic diagram of my system.
:confused:

Flushing is passing water through a system to clean it out.

Putting chemicals into a system to try to clean it out is called chemical cleaning.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Many thanks

Now I know where to inject the chemical cleaning solution. Will I need to flush the system once I have chemically cleaned it. If so how do I do this on my system??

Regards
C

there has to be a water flow for the chemicals to work otherwise you are wasting your time. I presume to took the radiator off and cleaned it out. If the pipework is blocked then maybe the only way to clean it is by doing it proffessionally with a power flusher (pump).

Just check to see if there is water coming through both valves to the radiaotr you are having problems with. If there is a decent flow of water then the pipework should be ok.

Pipework appears to be ok, yes there is a flow of water from connections and others rads work fine. I did remove as much of the sludge as I could and the rad is getting warmer than before. I could do with cleaning the whole system.

If you can, it might be worth removing each rad and taking them (upside down) outside to tip out the sludge and wash them out with a hosepipe or pressure washer... the more loose stuff you get out first, the easier your flush and clean will be. A lot of sludge collects in the botom of rads. Some circulates round trying to jam the pump.

You will have to drain to do this. While the syst is empty it may be worth putting at least one full-bore drain valve or tap on that you can fit a hosepipe to. Washing machine taps are handy as you can get a 2-metre machine hose to fit (this will also fit many radiator valves).

BTW do you have a small Feed & Expansion tank, or is it a sealed system?

If the rad is to be reused its better to carry them outside without inverting them if you can manage this as inverting may drop sludge into the top where it will be more difficult to get out with the hose.

If there is some flow then close all the othes and run the heating with just that one and the chemicals. Later use the rest of the rads.

Best to use Sentinel X800 as that does the treatment in a few hours. Double the times they give on the can!

If its successful then flush the system out twice and add X100 inhibitor.

The rads may need balancing.

Tony

The blocked rad was taken outisde; living on first floor flat I have no hose pipe supply of water, so the rad was flushed and sludge removed as best I could before refitting it. The rad does now get hotter.

I think I can manage the chemical clean, thanks for all the suggestions.

How do I flush the system on completion.

As my original post, I have a Copperform Coppermatic Cylinder, I think the F&E tank is fitted integral above but not sure how this works with the hot water storage side of the cylinder.

Regards
C

Following on from my original problem, today I have managed to drain the system, install a 22mm gate vale on the heating system to allow me to flush the system as discribed by Wiki for Open Systems and have injected Sentianal 400 to aid removal of the sludge.

Having now refilled the system, ran both heating and water, I have found some cross comtamination and discoloured water in the DHW. My storage cylinder is a Primatic Cylinder type.

Any ideas how to solve. I have read somewhere about water flow on the heating side but not sure how this helps. The circulating pumps appears to have a multi speed switch - not sure if I moved this during today's fun and games

Regards
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back