My heating system...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally managed to trace all the pipes on my heating system and it comes out something like this:

heating.gif

Fat lines at 22mm copper and thin ones are 15mm copper. The Boiler is an Ideal Mexico CF40 which is around 20 years old. No real operating problems as such, the bathroom rad gets air in it every couple of days, I'm yet to investigate this though. All water that is bled off is clear and the water in the head is clear but there is some what looks like rust at the bottom of the header tank in the loft.

And now to the questions...
1. Is it normal the way the feed and vent pipes connect directly to the spare flow and return connections on the boiler?
2. The box marked "X" on the drawing is some kind of valve inline on the pipe work. I am assuming that this is some form of one way valve to stop the upstairs rads back flowing when only the hot water is on. I assume this is required because the hot water return isn't the last connection before the return joins the boiler?
3.At the moment the return output of the tank is in 15mm copper which gets T'd with 15mm upstairs rad return. This then goes down to the boiler in another stretch of 15mm pipe before meeting the downstairs rads at the return port on the boiler shouldn't there be some 22mm in there somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Just grabbed a couple of pics showing the 15mm tank pipe work...

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Any views on if that is normal?[/img]

The vent and the cold feed to the boiler looks wrong to me just trying to put my head around it.
Do you have water venting over from the flow from the boiler to the Header. The return would also be pumped int the Header I think :eek:

No pumping over is evident! The tank in the loft does have what looks like rust settling in it though.

It just doesn't match any diagram I can find on the tinterweb!

Sponsored Links
Your pipework seems to be for an old gravity hotwater and pumped heating but looks like it has been modified to a fully pumped Y plan.

My guess is that the system will be pulling in air and plenty of it.

Looks like you have a real melon there!

Can you afford to rip it out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back