Help - Leaking radiator

Mark,

You say, 'where the pipe goes into the boiler it all looks a bit complex'. There MUST be a pressure dial somewhere. It is used to see what pressure the system is at and if it needs to be topped up.

If you cannot see a 'Braided' Filling Loop, it 'might' possibly look like this?...

http://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/productdetail.php?id=10

Sponsored Links
Mark,

If you are still struggling to find the pressure dial... There should be a pipe going into the boiler from the water main. Possibly at the bottom of the boiler. It will just be a copper pipe going into the boiler but it should have a stop tap/cock on it. First, turn your Boiler OFF then turn this tap OFF. That 'Should' stop any sytem fill-up and allow you to drain that Rad.

Let me know how you're getting on.

Sorry about the delay, Blasphemous. I was on the phone to the missus, telling her about my little saga.

I have found our digicamera so have taken a picture of the innards of the boiler. Only thing is, I don't know how to post images (do you happen to have a link that shows me how to do this?).

To give you an update, I've now turned off one of the red knobs that feeds the water heater in the bathroom, which is effectively the tank for the system. So, hopefully the system will now drain...

Incidentally, do you happen to know whether there is a good product on the market I could use to plug the leak - some kind of putty or something?[/img]

Okay, this is a picture of the innards of the boiler....

DSCN0636.jpg

Sponsored Links
Good morning folks

Well, I didn't get much sleep!

I was asked for a picture of the pipes going into our boiler. Well, itis a little boxed in, so I've taken pictures from the left, right and bottom....

First, the left hand side. What you can see is a single pipe disappearing underneath. That is the one that enters the boiler. You'll see this from the bottom view, coming up next....

DSCN06372-1.jpg

Okay, here is the bottom view. As you can see, there is a shelf, but the pipe dissapearing down in the previous picture is the one you can see in this picture. The grey wire is an electricity cable....

DSCN0639.jpg

Finally, the right hand side of the boiler. As you can see, no pipes here, just the grey cables...

DSCN0638.jpg

And, for good measure, a picture of the hot water tank in the bathroom...

DSCN06402.jpg

What I did last night was to turn off the water at the mains plus turn off the boiler. I then turned the red knob closest to the door in the picture of the tank thinking this would stop water coming from the tank. Unfortunately, none of this has stopped the water leaking out of the rad!!!

Have you been able to find where the water goes into the 'Ideal Classic'?
I had a look at some manufacturer's brochures, they said sealed system but I couldn't see a filling loop in any of the pics.

Hi all

Well thanks for your help. I am not much the wiser, but have fixed the leak. I found a draingae point and drained all the water off the system. I found that the leak was in a small hole in the rad, so once the system was drained down, I used a product called Leak-Fix that seems to have done the trick.

It is only a temporary measure anyway as our friendly plumber is due to come in a couple of weeks to overhaul the system

Never did find the pipe you guys were on about. I think it comes in through that one copper pipe you can see in the pictures.....

Anyway, there we have it, and I managed to avoid an expensive emergency plumber.....

Cheers for now

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back