Strange Noises...

D.J

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, Newbie here. Sorry for the vague title, but i am getting some strange noises from my CH and HW system. Ishall start with the heating:

The bedroom rad clicks for a short while when the heating comes on. I have only really noticed this when the heating comes on at night and wakes the missus up, who then wakes me up. Turn the rad off, and it stops.

Suggestions welcome....

Now for the fun one, the HW. If i leave the bedroom rad open while the HW is on, all of the rads heat up. If i close it, none of the rads heat up, and it just does the HW. The tri state valve (think thats what its called) is on the HW. Secondly, i get a gurggling sound from the boiler when the HW is on. This can carry on after the pump has stopped. I have managed to cure it slightly by changing the timer so that the HW and CH aren't on at the same time, and by turning the B/R rad off when the HW is on and back on again for the heating.

Again suggestions welcome...

As far as i can tell i have a run of the mill system, with nothing out of the ordinary, (or is there :rolleyes: )....

Thanks ini advance...

Sponsored Links
The bedroom rad clicks for a short while when the heating comes on. I have only really noticed this when the heating comes on at night and wakes the missus up, who then wakes me up. Turn the rad off, and it stops.

pipework is tight somwhere and the click is expansion

D.J said:
The bedroom rad clicks for a short while when the heating comes on.

That might be the radiator expanding as it warms, and moving on it's mounting brackets.
There are often U-shaped plastic spacers on the brackets that are supposed to allow the radiator to slide quietly, but they sometimes go missing.

Had an old 8 foot long X 18" rad in a bedroom once. Sounded like a double decker bus making a 3 point turn in the wardrobe when the system fired up in the morning. Never needed an alarm clock though.

Sponsored Links
TicklyT said:
Had an old 8 foot long X 18" rad in a bedroom once. Sounded like a double decker bus making a 3 point turn in the wardrobe when the system fired up in the morning. Never needed an alarm clock though.

So you've now invested in an alarm clock!!!!!

Thanks for the comments guys. I shall check the pipes to see if they are tight against the floor boards, Might invest in some of those rubber things, have seen them before (not on rad currently)

Any suggestions on the gurgling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back