advice for strong colour overpainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks! :)

Advice needed for an newbie DIY-er! I've been trying to over paint the walls in the hall with magnolia however I'm having problems properly covering the previous colour. Even 3 coats later the previous colour can be seen peeking through...

The previous colour is homebase deeptones atlantis water based vinyl silk emulsion (according to a paint tin found in the garage).

I've been using dulux magnolia luxurious silk and I'm not impressed by it's ability to cover up the previous colour - it seems to be going on too thin.

Or am I doing something wrong? Should I have perhaps used a 1-coat paint?

If it wasn't for all the doors in the hall (upstairs and downstairs) I'd probably just continue rollering on more coats until it was covered but with the edges to the door frames needing careful brush work this is becoming a real bind! :confused:

Any help appreciated! :)

Sponsored Links
Not that it helps you now... but when overpainting, I usually start with a coat of cheap, high opaacity matt white emulsion to even out the surface. After that, one top coat (with decent paint) is usually enough.

I normally use White for a levelling coat too. It also highlights any blemishes that I need to fill.

But for strong Colour Obliteration (or patterns) I'd go for a light grey.

I usually find dulux Trade emulsion will cover better than the retail type... Though I do sometimes use a white coat of matt/or a coat of dulux masonry paint is the biz sometimes.. Make sure roller is fully loaded and roll it on like your not paying for the paint.. :LOL:

If using matt ontop of silk make sure walls are abraded...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies - really appreciate it! :)

I didn't abrade the walls before I started and the previous paint was silk so I'm wondering if that is a factor - perhaps it was on the first coat, maybe subsequent coats it no longer matters? Maybe I should try a little experiment on a small section that I haven't painted yet - abrade it first then see if the first coat goes on thicker.

Are the one coat emulsions any good? Do any of the brands stand out above the others?

I don't remember seeing dulux trade emulsion in the store but it seems to get recommended alot on this forum so I might just give it a go, especially if no one can recommend a one coat emulsion brand. :)

Tonygerm - took me a while to figure out what 'cutting in the architave' meant! :oops:

There's 13 door frames in total in the upstairs and downstairs hall - but you're undoubtedly right that masking tape is the way forward. Looks like one coat paint is not on the menu so I'll get some of this dulux trade paint and give it a go...

Thanks to everyone who replied! :)

glad i could help. dont forget u will have to cut in the gloss work on the architrave aswell 13 door frames u will be an expert ;)

When overpainting a darker colour in a bathroom (say from blue to white) does the advice still apply?

The main paint is going to have to be resistant to moisture/steam.
Is it ok to have a layer of normal paint underneath?

i find that overpainting dark to light with a matt saves alot of recoating with silk, there is a newish paint by johnstones wich should be a bit more hardwearing, its a acrylic eggshell bit more pricy than yu normal emulsion but as they say "you only get what u pay 4"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back