To paint or varnish my door...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a door in my house but it is a non-standard size and I couldn't find a replacement anywhere.

I have just bought an external door from a friend who works for my local council (all above board - honest!) and it's the ugliest door ever. No problems though because I plan to stick some mouldings on it and a pretty stained glass panel (there's an aperture cut out).

Anyway, I'm not really sure what kind of wood it's made of but there are no knots or anything and I can't even really see a grain. It's a solid door. Just wondered if it would look really really stupid if I stained and varnished it. Should I just paint it white?

What do you think?

Claire

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a mahogany fire door, is it a darkish reddy brown?..in which case it will take a varnish.

Has it been varnished before?

Depends if the door is all dis-coloured. If it is i would paint it white.

If it is a flat flush door then I don't think it will look right varnished, even if you trick it up with applied mouldings.

I would reserve varinish (or breathing stains) for panelled doors.

Sponsored Links
It's like a light ash colour and it's there's no stain/varnish/paint on it. It's basically a big thick plank of wood.

I suppose I could stain and varnish it first then paint over it if it looks stupid right?

C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back