Waterproof bathroom/kitchen sealant easier said than done !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having an absolute goddawful nightmare with sealing my bath and my kitchen sink with that white waterproof silicon sealant stuff
My bathroom currently looks a complete mess, and I have just finished attempting to seal a tiling shelf I had next to my sink in the kitchen.
Both times, I just could not get the selant to look half decent.
I beaded it on, then used a speacial tool to try and smooth it out.
Both times, all I got was a complete mess, my hands covered in sealant, and bits of sealant everywhere.
This has been the worst job I have yet had to do, and I'm getting really annoyed that I can't seem to get it right.
Can anyone
1 - Advise me on the best way to get rid of the botch job in my bathroom, and
2 - Let me know how the pro's get it so right ?
I am at the end of my tether.

Sponsored Links
Masking tape on both side and use a little amount of sealants then wet finger & run over the sealant with light pressure, remove masking tape straight away then run wet finger over it again gently.

dont put to much sealant on then get some washing up liquid and put a little bit on a clean surface then use that on your finger it should be easier

Sponsored Links
davegriff, I can completely sympathise with you. I have gone through the same thing with my bath. In the end I took off the new sealant as it looked cr*p, and started again. Second time was much better.

Useful to fill the bath with water a few hours before you do it, so that the sealant does not come away from the bath when full.

Some advice above was to use less sealant, definately good advice! When you cut the tube on silicon only cut a fairly small hole in it, maybe 5mm or so. When you smooth it with a wet finger, it will not go everywhere and make a complete mess (I know from bitter experience!!)

Best of luck

best to use masking tape, 2 runs, 1 for each edge. Then fill with an evenish bead of sealant. Wet finger with fairy liquid and smooth it off then pull masking tape up while still wet, don't touch it for few hours. Can get stuff called silicon eater from B&Q to remove old stuff but I would recommend cutting it out.

Am I unique that I don't have problems with silicone sealant :?: ;)
Force the silicone into the gap by keeping the gun at an upright angle, get a piece of plastic/formica edging with the correct rad you require filed onto a corner with straight edges, run it along forcing the sealant in even tighter and wipe excess off your spreader with a cloth. Next day rub your finger over any thin films you've left behind to remove them (if you leave a thick film find a straight edge and score with a stanley blade first).
Voila, another good job done !!

Always apply the sealant away from you, i.e. push dont pull, and not too quick either. I confess though, it is a bit of an accquired art :D

Scoby_Beasley said:
Am I unique that I don't have problems with silicone sealant :?: ;)
get a piece of plastic/formica edging with the correct rad you require filed onto a corner with straight edges, run it along forcing the sealant in even tighter

Scoby, what happens when your bit of formica hits a grout line in the tiles? Don't you get a little ridge in the silicon? In my experience, the only way of getting a good, clean, smooth fillet is using light finger pressure dipped in strong washing up liquid solution. And do it once only, 'cos as soon as you've done it the first time, additional silicon won't stick to the wet tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back