electric boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are thinking of having an electric boiler installed in our new house (for reasons we wont bore you with!) to run the heating only.we have read mixed reviews,but are quite keen if we can find out if one would be up to the job and whether the domestic electricity supply is also up to the job.we would welcome feedback from anyone who either installs these or has one in their home.

Sponsored Links
we are thinking of having an electric boiler installed in our new house (for reasons we wont bore you with!)

Bore us with the reasons! These are very expensive to run and I would only recommend them as an absolute last resort to those with healthy bank balances that are unlikely to stay healthy after the first bill.

They are not eco friendly either due to their inefficiency so expect a greenpeace / friends of the earth protest the size of greenham common the minute you turn it on.

You dont mention anything about your heating requirements.

o.k. the boring reason. i (viv) currently have chemical sensitivity (not just chemicals though) so cannot run the gas boiler which is sited in our kitchen.pain in axx as it was only fitted in feb! so we were considering an electric one as a possibility in our new house.it would need to serve 8 rads but not the water. other option is siting gas boiler in garage. other ideas most welcome.

Sponsored Links
vivandpete said:
actually, they are supposed to be 99.8 efficient and can be linked up to solar panels etc.
They are 99.8% efficient but thats just a sales gimmick
99.8% of the electricity that goes into them turns to heat. Ok accepted.

But what about the fossil fuels that have to be burned at an arbitrary figure of 65-70% to create that electricity?

I cant see how a modern room sealed boiler can cause a problem with chemical sensitivity. Maybe I have something to learn about your condition so feel free to elaborate.

Do you have an open flued appliance at the moment?

Theres some info here that may make you think again. Look on page 4

Electricity - standard tariff 100kWh Cost £7.09 CO2 emitted 41 kg

Gas boiler - new condensing 100kWh Cost £1.50 CO2 emitted 22 kg

Your use of an electric boiler will probably restricted to daytime so the cheaper off peak price of £2.85 wont be applicable.

That arbitrary figure I mentioned earlier in the post going by the CO2 emmissions now looks to be about 55%

Wow, Slugbaby, what a fascinating document!

I went to a customer the other day who is having electrical element screed heating in their refurbished house because the architect had told them it was more energy efficient! I told them otherwise but I feel they believed the architect 'he's done his own house the same way and it works very well'.

I'll send them a copy before it's too late, the architect is taking out their gas condensing boiler!

Not quite the same question, but related.

I work in council/housing association housing and come across many tenants who insist on having the electric immersion heater on 24/7 for H.W. when they have a perfectly good, if not particularly efficient BBU on a fully pumped system with foam insulated HWcyl. They do this even more in the summer "to save on gas".

I'm sure they are wrong not to use the gas for a couple of hours a day to heat H.W., but i've not come across direct statistics to demonstrate this to them, so its a 'their word against mine..and its their house!' situation.

1)Am i right? 2)Is there a comparison i can show them?

To Viv...are you sure its the gas? My Missus has dealt with cases such as yours and has found diesel fumes to be a bigger culprit than gas fumes..so what type of location do you live in and what other influences might there be in the surrounding area. I'm probably wide of the mark, but thought i'd just mention it for what its worth.

Alfredo

slugbaby,thanks for the link.looks like it will be the boiler in the garage option. whilst gas isnt a chemical it can and does cause a prob. for people with mcs.it could be the insulation (polyurethane)insulation on the boilers themselves.who knows? we just know it is a prob.every time we run it(we even had it checked for carbon monoxide just in case) to alfredo,im most interested to hear your wife has dealt with such cases.yes diesel is a problem which is why it can be such an isolating condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back