Glow worm space saver 22-30 b stopped working after new rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
installed. cut in to old pipes in front room to join new pipes. didnt drain the system and very little leaked out.

Problem is now that both the hw and ch have stopped. the boiler sounds like it is pumping water, but it is not firing since initial 20secs after turning back on. pipes directly out of the boiler are hot, but once in floor upstairs they are cold. Pilot is on and all looks fine.

Rad in bathroom not full, but nothing seems to fill elsewhere and no water has come down to new rad in front room. Header tank in loft has been checked for the ball cock to move and water etc, all ok.

Any one got any ideas at all?

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You have a blocked cold feed. Go to your header tank, find the cold feed pipe that is connected to it, it should exit low, at the side, or underneath, trace the route to where it joins your pipework, normally in airing cupboard. The tee where it joins is blocked, hence why no water came out when you cut to fit rad :rolleyes:

would that stop the hw from working too as that has a different header tank?

also, how do you clear a block? i know where the pipes run i think...

If your hot water is heated by the boiler then yes, the different header tank is to replenish water to your cylinder when you run hot water via the tap. Do a search on Blocked Cold Feed, or have a look up top of forum for a post which has similar symptoms. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70206

Sponsored Links
done that, ta.

the tee you refer to is the vent off the feed from header tank? i promise this will be my last question! its not that clear on other posts...

right blockage sorted.

Have slight central heating (getting better the more i go round and bleed) but its slow spreading round house.

Main problem is i now have no hot water... No tap have been turned off, pump is working, boiler occasionally fires up.

Any ideas please?

*edit - CH is v slow at warming compared to before new rad. HW has same pressure as before hand, just no hot water...

ok, also just tried connect cold to hot at washer and filling / flushing there.

No difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back