Ideal Sprint Combi Boiler won't ignite. Help!

smb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my combi boiler (Ideal Sprint Rapide RS 75N) has stopped working, so no heating or hot water. Pressure is OK. Boiler seems to make all the right kind of pumping noises but to no avail. When a hot tap is opened up, no ignition. Tried pressing reset button etc, but no good.

System was switched off yesterday whilst we took a radiator off the wall, then mistakenly switched back on whilst pressure was still low (ie before we used loop to top it up). When switched on the boiler made bubbling noises. Although it was switched off again after less than five mins guess this must have caused the problem. Any suggestions? It's very cold here, so would really appreciate ideas for fixes to try.

The boiler was in the house when we moved in, so don't know its age - perhaps about 10 yrs? It was serviced around a year and a half ago.

Sponsored Links
Forgotten these fellahs now, rather more than 10 years I think.

There's also an overheat thermostat I can see from a parts list but don't know where the reset button would be. The thermostat sensor is placed inside the boiler case, top right, but I would expect the button (dark red) to be through a hole underneath, or similar. There may not be the reset button my pic shows - try relighting pilot if you can't find one.

It has a permanent pilot, which would have one out on low water/overheat. Instructions for lighting should be on one of the panels, along the lines of holding in a button (green?) on the gas valve on the right then using the igniter button (below it?) to light pilot keeping green button pressed for 20 secs.

Hi - thanks for the reply but I forgot to add a vital piece of info to the original post.

The pilot lights OK but the burners don't ignite (when tap turned on etc).

Hi ChrisR

Thanks - great diagnosis. Got diagram from Ideal and have reset - seems to be working OK now (fingers crossed it stays that way for a while!) Appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
8) To late was the cry, weve got a few of these fellas still on our round, the overheat stat is in the top left hand corner of the combustion chamber, you have to take the case right off to get at it. Pesky nuisance.

Hi all - needing to pick your brains again!

As before the problem relates to my combi boiler (Ideal Sprint Rapide RS 75N). Having found and reset the overheat thermostat the system fired up and everything seemed great for a few hours. Then I noticed problem with water dripping from overflow at side of the house - and boiler pressure dropping quite quickly. I'm assuming that this is a problem with the Pressure Relief Valve, have tried pressing button but problem hasn't gone away.

Any thoughts??!!

That's a problem they haven't solved in all the years since your boiler... See "Boiler Pressure Problems" in the FAQ section.

Hi,

I've got exactly the same boiler and problem. I think I need to locate the reset switch but can't. I have the Installation and servicing manual but I can't find it. Can you describe where it was and how to get to it please? Its a Ideal Sprint Rapide RS 75 N

Thanks
Stef

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back