Cold Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One cold radiator, all others working ok. Checked everything possible (except messing around with pump). Had radiator off 3 times and power flushed. On replacing the radiator the water is reasonably hot at the bottom but after bleeding heat moves to the top but cools down and is barely warm and there is no heat left at the bottom of the radiator. Because the rad has been flushed I do not think it is the radiator. Is it possible that there is not enough water flowing into the rad? I renewed the valve but water appears to only trickle into the rad.

Sponsored Links
Check the valves, there may be an adjuster which is screwed down, i.e not letting enough flow through the rad.

Hope this helps.

I also have one rad not working whilst others are fine. It has been removed and flushed out but still doesn't work. I was told that I would need to replace that rad for a new one.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new radiator. Managed to increase valve flow but radiator still cool but water in pipe and valve red hot. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Try balancing and possiblyt a chemical clean and flush. Look at the Sticky: Look Here First - FAQ

When did the problem arise? Had you just done something to that rad or any other part of the CH system?

WabbitPoo.

No, I haven't done anything recently. The radiator has been off donkey's but I never got 'round to do anything about it until this week. I don't feel the cold but my wife does! I'm more or less convinced that it is the radiator itself (I've balanced but to no avail) but I've flushed and I always thought that there were no working parts in a radiator and apart from sludge/rust nothing could go wrong. B & Q here I come.

More likely the pipes or valves than the rad. Especially if you have microbore pipes. A thermostatic valve might have stuck shut.

If the rad has been off a long time sediment may have collected in the pipe.

If you take the rad off and open the valves into a bucket, does water flow freely from each?

Water flows freely from both ends of the radiator when drained. Water in the flow pipe is red hot but just seems to stop at the radiator entry (valve gets hot). When replacing the radiator the water that flows into the radiator is hot at the bottom. After bleeding, the hot water moves to the top as it is supposed to do but then goes to just warm while the water at the bottom of the rad is cool to say the least.

Is it a thermostatic valve?

When you say "Water flows freely from both ends of the radiator " do you mean it flows from the pipework at each valve?

JohnD said:
Is it a thermostatic valve?

When you say "Water flows freely from both ends of the radiator " do you mean it flows from the pipework at each valve?

JohnD.

No, it isn't a thermo valve and yes water flows from both ends of the radiator/pipework although as I've said, the water just appears to trickle from the flow valve into the radiator. I power flushed the radiator until the water ran clear. On refilling and emptying again the water from the radiator was clear.

Getting fed up now. Went to B & Q yesterday for a new rad but they did not have one in the required size, 1000 x 500. As a last resort, is it possible that there is not enough flow of water leading from the manifold outlet through to the problem rad. or am I being silly. All other rads. are getting their share of water from the individual outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back