Wall papering an Arch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just had an extension built on to my lounge. What was the French doors is now an Arch into the new room. It is a standard arch. A square opening with the corners rounded.
How do I paper this arch?
Regards,
Gary.

Sponsored Links
Ooooo...tricky mate..firstly, if the paper isnt going in both rooms you need to decide what room you want to see it from.

As foractually doing it, theres two ways I use depending on the paper and the light source.

One way is to paper the inner part of the arch from the top of it to the bottom using two pieces of paper overlap them at the top by about 2 inches and cut through the two pieces..take away the two bits of waste and you should have a perfect joint.

The two pieces should overlap the outsdie edge of the arch on both sides by about 1/4 inch.

Next, make a snip in the paper every inch all the way round and stick the paper to the wall...then you can paper the face of the wall.again leaving about an inch hanging over the edge, then take a very sharp trimming knife and cut the access off

The other method I use is almost the same but paper the main walls first snip the edges, fold it around and then place two strips over the inner part of the arch

Dont forget to wipe the paste off as you go..

If the paper is very thick then youl have to cut bot edges off at the external corner, if you dont they will show under the paper

Sorry if it sounds complicated...its harder to explain than actually do

Oh and dont go for a complicated pattern you will lose it all over the place on an arch

glad you got the job steve :LOL:

I try to con the customer into having the reveal painted... :evil:

confidentincompetent said:
glad you got the job steve :LOL:

I try to con the customer into having the reveal painted... :evil:

:LOL:

Not an easy one..I waited for someone else to reply for a while lol...nice to see you back btw

Sponsored Links
Not an easy one..I waited for someone else to reply for a while lol...nice to see you back btw
:LOL:
Ta steve...likewise.
I've been working on an empty house and quite knackered.. Gettin old :eek:

Zampa said:
One way is to paper the inner part of the arch from the top of it to the bottom using two pieces of paper overlap them at the top by about 2 inches and cut through the two pieces..take away the two bits of waste and you should have a perfect joint.

Hi Zampa - do you suggest joining two strips on the inner arch because it saves wasting an entire 15 feet length, or does it actually help hang the paper in another way?

Cheers

Oz

Ignore previous post - just realised pattern would be upside down on one side of arch. Sorry, just having a doh! moment.

Oz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back