Olive removing tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

If anyone can give me some advice - would appreciate it...

Thinking of buying an olive removing tool. As far as I can see there is a cheaper model that will remove both 15/22mm olives (the tool screws on to the existing compression locking nut and you pull the olive off) or there is a more expensive tool that splits the olive (but 2 seperate tools required to do both 15 & 22mm).

Will the cheaper one suffice or are they unreliable..???

:eek:

Sponsored Links
i bought a 15mm mor expensive type.

it lasted about a month. the cutting teeth are now blunt and it compresses the olive (and pipe) and in so doing causes more work !

i now have gone back to me hack saw

I've got them (all!).
The screwy one which does both sizes (unless the threads's the older finer prestex type) is the better bet.

Either that or cut yourself a set of very short lengths of copper pipe, and put them in a compression fitting, starting with the shortest, and do the nut up. As you do so it'll slide the olive along the pipe. When tight, undo the fitting and put a longer bit of pipe in, and repeat. See?

The splitting-type tool does for me, for 15mm. Larger sizes = less frequently needed and easier to work on = carry on using hacksaw.

The other problem is the quality of the plumbing BEFORE you came on the scene! If a compression joint has been over-tightened so that the olive has dug in and 'necked' the tube, there's no point removing it in most cases! You won't get a leaktight joint on the tube a second time anyway.

Sponsored Links
The plug centre of the screw-on type, goes some way to reshaping the pipe.
SOmeone ought to make a tap-in bar of the right size to do the job. 13.6mm!

ChrisR said:
I've got them (all!).
The screwy one which does both sizes (unless the threads's the older finer prestex type) is the better bet.

Either that or cut yourself a set of very short lengths of copper pipe, and put them in a compression fitting, starting with the shortest, and do the nut up. As you do so it'll slide the olive along the pipe. When tight, undo the fitting and put a longer bit of pipe in, and repeat. See?

This sounds like a good plan!!!! Thanks for advice

JPC said:
i bought a 15mm mor expensive type.

it lasted about a month. the cutting teeth are now blunt and it compresses the olive (and pipe) and in so doing causes more work !

i now have gone back to me hack saw

Thanks for advice!!

I have monument 15mm/22mm removal tool, it is very usefull and avoids the problem of cutting the pipe and the olive when using a hacksaw. Occasionaly the effort required to turn the handle can be difficult in tight spaces. On the whole its a usefull bit of kit though.

Didn't know you get tools to deal with olives until I saw this thread!
I replaced 9 rad valves with TRVs recently, and removing the old olives was the hardest part of the job!
I was too scared of damaging the pipes with a hacksaw, so wore them down with a file until I could rip them open and off with an old jeweller's screwdriver :)

13403.jpg

i use these

nigelad said:
Didn't know you get tools to deal with olives until I saw this thread!
I replaced 9 rad valves with TRVs recently, and removing the old olives was the hardest part of the job!
I was too scared of damaging the pipes with a hacksaw, so wore them down with a file until I could rip them open and off with an old jeweller's screwdriver :)

Crikey!!! The award for perseverance goes to.... YOU!

Never used or saw one, to be honest never saw the need... Is it so much better and quicker than the 30 seconds it takes to cut with a junior hacksaw and an remove with an old electricians screwdriver. Or just wallop the nut an olive off with pair of grips.

I use both and the one scatman recommends is the best. And it helps strengthen the wrists.

There is a technique though -be careful and slow (that's what she said) or you can nip the copper pipe as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back