Painting over gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening :D

Firstly, as its my first post, may I get the beers in for everyone:cool:

Secondly, my querie here is that I have to paint over my skirtings and door frames etc which are already painted but need a recoat.

What is the best method here?

Kind regards

Boons

Sponsored Links
If they just need a recoat (singular).
Sponge with sugar soap and lightly sand with 400 wet or dry, then rinse dry.
Apply a coat of Crown Solo Gloss...it's self undercoating, as opposed to ordinary gloss which is not.

Or...rub em down and give one undercoat and one gloss

I prefer the Zampa method but sand the undercoat lightly to get a top finish.

Sponsored Links
I'm with Zampa on this one, the undercoat gives it it a good base, hence a better finish with the gloss. :D

You now have the choice Boons to recoat twice or recoat once with self undercoating gloss.

I was supplied with Crown solo to do a job a couple of months ago and thought I was fairly impressed with it but in the next section, we needed more supplies, this time I was involved and requested u/coat and gloss, Absolutely no comparison, the first part of the job was obviously inferior but if you are not too fussy, I suppose it would do. I have been doing this since 1962 and one of the things drummed into me was, No gloss on gloss. Always rub down and undercoat, preferably oil based. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back