faulty photocell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted a new pump to a danesmore today as it kept going to lockout/no oil pressure.burner now fires up but then goes out-took the photocell out,held in dark to start up-then exposed it to the light in the boiler room and boiler stays on,but when in combustion chamber it goes to lockout again.99% sure its faulty photocell but just though id seek second opinion b4 going back out to it

Sponsored Links
That test tells you the photocell IS working. Sounds like you replaced the pump without diagnosing the fault first. Have you got a spark? very likely a transformer.

Disconnect power.
Remove the burner from the boiler.
Pull the plug out of the pump solenoid.
Look at nozzle.
Apply power (press reset button if necessary).
Do you have spark?

Only three things come to my mind.
(A)perhaps faulty wiring on photocell. (B)Is photocell correctly located and facing the correct direction. (C) Can't photocell be tested with meter.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

there is a spark and burner does ignite- when photocell is in place the burner goes to lockout-when photocell is taken out burner lights and stays on-cell is clean and in correct position-i am getting readings from multimeter on the photcell-my theory was that it wasnt working as well as it should be-ie not sensitive enough to work with the light from burner-but wotking with a brighter light source.

Sponsored Links
what burner is it.?
whats the pump pressure?
there might be a loose connex in control box
if its one of those wedge shaped cells...

:rolleyes:

If you're working on burners, why haven't you got replacement photocells with you? This should be a swap-and-see exercise, not a major debate. It has already cost MUCH more time than trying another unit.

It would be very unlikely to be a pump AND a photocell, so have you replaced a pump unnecessarily?

allways worked on gas but been put onto oil aswell a couple of weeks ago.The oil pump had definately gone as b4 i replaced the boiler would not fire up and there was no pressure at the oil pump (solenoid tested ok)pump was an old danfoss mlsa type.

There's nothing like a bright employer sending you out with the bits is there? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back