Stop Cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After much searching I have tracked down the position of my stop cock in the flats where I live in. The trouble is there are two stop cocks side by side - one from copper piping and one from blue (probably polybutylene) piping. I am pretty sure the copper one in for the gas services and the blue one is for water. Also the copper line has what looks like a gas stop with the blue line more like a traditional tap. Can someone confirm my belief is correct.

Both are dead tight - any suggestion as to the best way to loosen. Or is it just brute force?

And off is clockwise yes? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Clockwise IS off for water stoptaps and try WD40 on the stem to loosen it a bit.

As for the gas line I would have someone qualified to inspect it. It won't be a regular stoptap. :D

the 1st stopcock was probably put in by waterboard? makes sense to open coldwater on sink(thats the minimum point where you are meant to have coldwater mains at)and then start turning the stopcock...when the water stops running from the tap.. u can be certain the mains is shut off,,, dont dare go then cut the hotwater pipe! :evil: cheers

Sponsored Links
Tim H said:
After much searching I have tracked down the position of my stop cock in the flats where I live in.

Tim, can I ask are you planning to turn off the water supply to the block? If so have you had to get permission to do this?

I'm asking because I can't locate the stop valve for the water supply to the bathroom and am thinking I may have to go down the block's stopcock route.

Many thanks

good luck in getting a reply, Tim only posted that one a year ago, not been back since

The older type brass is probably water too. Don't overtighten either of them, just let your neighbours know that the water may be going off and you will be fine.

How many flats are there?

I think the flats are @ Nelson Mandela Court....................Peckham ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back