Ford Focus remote locking not working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The remote locking on my 1999 Focus has stopped working. I took the key to my local Ford dealer and had them fit a new battery to the key, but this has had no effect.

Strangely all the doors unlock via the key successfully, so I don't think it's a fuse problem as such. Also the internal boot release button works.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is there a sensor that gets "dirty" and stops this from working?

Thanks,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
most likely is a flat battery, and then if you have a completely flat battery out, or take your battery out for more than say 30 secs, then you have to reteach it to the car as follows:

* Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.
* Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this.
* During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.
* Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.

-but thats in the manual and ford dealers know how to do that! could be something worse but that gets expensive at fords. you can buy a key off ebay and put the remote part on your new key, and then you have to swap the imobiliser chip from your old key (its a little capsule thing) -or there is a way to teach it the new imobiliser chip, but i cant remember that off had but its on the web somewhere.

There nothing wrong with the battery as far as I can tell (there has been no electrical failure I am aware of) - unless you're referring to the battery in the key. :oops:

I'll try "re-teaching" the code to the car, and see what happens.

The weird thing is that it in the past the remote locking seemed less responsive when the car was dirty, which made me wonder if there was some dirt somewhere "blocking" the signal....

Sponsored Links
Thanks a million, sm1thson. :D :D

It looks like the battery in the key was totally dead. I've reprogrammed the key and it all works now.

Thanks again.

Gary.

Back