Jammed Mortice Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My back door is locked shut and I can't turn the key - it feels like the lock mechanism is jammed tight - I can get the key in and turn in the direction that would lock it, but won't move a millimetre un the direction to unlock.

It's a mortice lock (with a chubb type key?) and the door is timer clad in aluminium.

Any ideas how to get it open so I can replace the mechanism?

Cheers.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried spraying WD40 into the lock. Got to be the easy starting place.

Good idea about trying to lube it.

Make absolutely sure that you are using the correct key.

Otherwise I think the lock is damaged. Make sure no vandal has poked anything through the keyhole.

If you are on the inside of the house, you will be able to cut the bolt of the lock without damaging the door or the frame much, as long as you can see the bolt in the gap.

You will have to use a padsaw or an angle grinder.

Once the door is open you can remove the lock fairly easily and throw it away with many curses.

I have only experienced this on cheap or very old locks, where the internal steel parts have rusted and broken.

I only use genuine Chubb 5-lever or detainer locks as the internal parts are in solid brass or substantial steel.

Cheers for the replies. I will try and lube it although it feels more mechanically stuck that friction(ally) stuck.

It's a very thin gap between door and frame so not sure if can cut with anyything much!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
another thing to try because the damp weather may have swolen the wood iiisss
lean hard on the door in the lock area to try and ease the sideways preasure

if its not tight try rattllng the door whilst turning the key to see if it helps

As Big-all suggests - check if the frame/door has swelled with the recent damp weather. It could be putting pressure on the bolt.

You don't state the lock make, or number of levers, but I'll assume it's a 5 lever BS rated model. likely problems are :

1. The lever pack has become gummed together, with the individual levers not returning to the correct position above the curtain. Try to "jiggle" the key as you turn it, as this may release the levers.

2. When you last locked/unlocked the door, the bolt didn't fully engage/return, and the lever pack is stuck in the unlock position with the bolt stump between the lever gates. Only way to resolve this is with a bent wire to manually move the bolt into it's correct position. If the lock is mounted on the Left (as you look at it), the bolt will be at the back of the lock. If its mounted on the right, then it will be at the front of the lock.

Going by your description, no.2 is the most likely.

Best option, with least amount of damage, would be to call a locksmith out.

When frames are fitted they frequently have gaps at the sides. If you put a car jack across the frame and crank it you may get enough clearance to open the door, then you can replace the lock.

Even if you can't quite do that you may get better acces to the bolt to force it back with a sharp implement.

I just had exactly this problem and the following worked a treat (you have to be able to see the side of the bolt) : Insert the correct key and turn it gently in the direction that locks the door. You feel slight resistance as it lifts the levers to free the bolt, then it contacts the bolt and won't turn any further. Now gently hold the key in that position. Press the end of a flat screwdriver or similar implement against the side of the bolt and edge it back to the unlocked position. Prevention: I had the problem after heavy rain and suspect that the wood swelled and pushed the bolt a millimetre or two back into the lock so the key couldn't engage. Chisel out a bit more wood so this doesn't happen again.

I just had exactly this problem and the following worked a treat (you have to be able to see the side of the bolt) : Insert the correct key and turn it gently in the direction that locks the door. You feel slight resistance as it lifts the levers to free the bolt, then it contacts the bolt and won't turn any further. Now gently hold the key in that position. Press the end of a flat screwdriver or similar implement against the side of the bolt and edge it back to the unlocked position. Prevention: I had the problem after heavy rain and suspect that the wood swelled and pushed the bolt a millimetre or two back into the lock so the key couldn't engage. Chisel out a bit more wood so this doesn't happen again.
Why resurrect an old post?

Granted, but hopefully the update will help others. It may be the case that Steve stumbled across this via a search engine.
i personally don't have a problem with old threads
its more to alert others so like my self can adjust the information given as old threads often need different response because they are old
a different coloured banner once resurected would be helpful to indicate an old thread updated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back