Box for external gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a follow up to a post of a few days ago which was answered with enthusiasm and skill ..... I hope you can help with this one.

My gas meter is fixed to my external house wall but within a lean-to garage. It is not recessed into the wall, it is mounted on a steel plate fixed directly to the brickwork at a height of 1800mm. The incoming gas pipe comes vertically from the floor to the same height as the top of the meter but 200mm to the right of it and connects into the top of the meter with a 'bendy' metal pipe. The cut-off lever is at the top of the rigid vertical pipe. The outgoing pipe comes from the top of the meter and along the garage wall into the kitchen wall.

I want to have the garage dismantled which would leave the exposed meter outside.

I obviously want to box the meter in securely with a lockable door for access (I assume this is legally necessary too?).

Now, most boxes I have seen for sale online are for recessed meters. Is it possible to buy boxes that simply slot over full meters and bolt to the wall, with a means of cutting out holes where the piping needs to go?

Alternatively is it allowed to make your own slot-over box? It would be no problem for me to make a secure, weather-proof, lockable wooden box to fully enclose the meter, flexible pipe and cut-off lever which I could fit without disturbing any of the pipework.

Or any other suggestions?

hope this makes sense, with apologies for not knowing the correct jargon!!

cheers
Alan

Sponsored Links
Firstly, have you tried here

Assuming that you have, and haven't had much success then try
here or here and look at natural gas/ meters/ housing & accessories

thanks for the links, yes they might give me a solution. I'm starting to think that making my own wooden cabinet would allow me to make it look more appropriate with the rest of the surroundings.

are there any specifications or requirements for external gas meter boxes that I would have to work to?

Alan

Sponsored Links
I would contact National Grid (Transco) and ask them. I would imagine that they will insist on a purpose built box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back