Potterton Prima F Overheats & Locks Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive got a Potterton Prima F boiler which keeps locking itself off. The thermostat seems to have very little effect on the actual temparature of the water coming immediately out of the pipes, it is always scorching hot. This means that even with the thermostat set to 0.5 or 1 the boiler quickly overheats once it ignites & then shuts itself off. This then seems to lock it shut so that when the controller tries to turn it on later in the day, nothing happens. If i try to immediately manually relight the boiler after it has shut, the pilot button often forces itself back out, refusing to light until the boiler has cooled down.

Am i correct in assuming that there is something wrong with the thermostat? The overheat cut out must be doing its job in some respect, it is just being overworked by the constant barrage of near steam!

However, i dont understand why the overheat cut-out effectively locks the boiler from reigniting even hours later when it must have cooled down?

If anybody has any ideas about what the possible fault(s) could be & any idea of prices to fix, i would be very grateful.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

cheers

jb

Sponsored Links
if its overheating within a few minutes of coming on then check the pump is working.

if its after its been on sometime it could be that the thermostat is failing, the overrun stat has failed (if it has one) or Heat Exchanger could be sludged up.

your overheat device is FAIL SAFE.

If your boiler overheats it will render the boiler unsafe to use. It does not know the boiler has cooled down, thus allowing boiler to work again. User has to reset the boiler to allow further function.

You will have to measure flow AND return temperature on the primary's off your boiler. An 11-20 degree diff may indicate the boiler stat. Anymore and circulation could be a factor.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back