Filled Travertine - Impregnating / sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished laying filled/honed travertine tiles. The instructions on the impregnator / sealer say one coat before grouting and one coat after. Remove any excess that has not soaked in after 5 mins

I did a few tiles to test ......felt like I was removing all I applied after 5 mins. The tiles do not look porous or appear to need sealing. I guess this is because they have resin floated across them? Can't tell any difference after treatment. Second coat will be the same or even less effective?

Advice / comments please

Sponsored Links
Hi Jedi,
id be surprised if they dont need sealing.The impregnating sealer will sit just in the surface of tile not on it as a surface sealer would.Have you tested the tile by putting water on it to see if it stains??
id seal as instructions,what have you to loose??
the second coat after grouting will also seal the grout protecting that aswell.

Thanks Sticky ... I'll do a 'water test' over the weekend ..... see if there is any difference. If there isn't I might skip the pre grout treatment and do one afterwards

Sponsored Links
for a novice I would say ...
seal/ fix/ seal/ grout/ seal
for sealer I always used

Aquamix Sealers Choice 15 Gold

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back