Light fitting with two earth wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I just bought a (metal) light fitting that has a central 3 core wire connection and a shorter seperate earth connection. I have not seen two earth wires like this before. I was planning on doing the electrical connection in the floor space above the chandelier as there isn't much room underneath the fitting because of a plaster ceiling rose so how do I connect the 2nd earth wire? Do I extend it up into the floor space and connect it to the single incoming earth? or is it even required it there is already a central earth?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
You need to connect any exposed metal work of the fitting to the earth of the circuit using the earth wire fitted to the body, even though the flex has an earth core.

This will prevent the metal fitting becoming live under fault conditions.

It may be that the lampholder(s) does not have a sufficient electrical earth connection to the main body of the lamp and the fly earth lead is to make sure the main body is earthed to the same potential as the lampholder bodie(s)? so just make sure the earths are connected together to the lighting earth.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I will extend the earth up and connect it along with the other earth to the main connection. Perhaps the manufacturer was being overcautious thinking the metal chain links connecting the ceiling end of the light with body holding the lamp holders could be broken somehow! Looking forward to lifting the floorboards in the room above to assess the diy workmanship as the main cable coming down is gold plastic and not the usual white or grey!!

tim west said:
It may be that the lampholder(s) does not have a sufficient electrical earth connection to the main body of the lamp and the fly earth lead is to make sure the main body is earthed to the same potential as the lampholder bodie(s)? so just make sure the earths are connected together to the lighting earth.
You dont know what you're talking about. The body of the lamp needs earthing because it isn't double insulated and is metal. There is therefore a chance that the body could become live during a fault and kill someone.

Nothing to do with lampholders. These, generally, aren't earthed, since light bulbs dont need an earth last time i looked.

mark_a said:
Thanks for the responses. I will extend the earth up and connect it along with the other earth to the main connection. Perhaps the manufacturer was being overcautious thinking the metal chain links connecting the ceiling end of the light with body holding the lamp holders could be broken somehow! Looking forward to lifting the floorboards in the room above to assess the diy workmanship as the main cable coming down is gold plastic and not the usual white or grey!!
oh dear god. sounds like a shoddy DIY install.

The manufacturer is not being over cautious, they are fulfilling a requirement that nobody dies by touching their appliance during a fault. Many light fittings come with an earth flylead attached to the metal body. Its nothing unusual. And a chain cannot be relied upon for electrical continuity - there would be plenty of resistance even when pulled tight.

crafty1289 said:
Nothing to do with lampholders. These, generally, aren't earthed, since light bulbs dont need an earth last time i looked.

Brass lampholders have an earth terminal on them ;)

ricicle said:
crafty1289 said:

Brass lampholders have an earth terminal on them ;)
But the lampholders on most light fittings are integral to the metalwork on the fitting. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back