50,000 btu boiler run a shower direct from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I connect my stelrad RS50 directly to run my shower from mains and water from the boiler

Sponsored Links
NO!
smile_hilarious.gif

Don't laugh - about 18 months ago whilst working in a customers house a neighbour asked me if I could 'pop in' before I left to see if I could sort out a problem with a new basin in a cloakroom.

I finished up and 'popped round' and on turning the hot tap on found very hot and very dirty water belting out.

After a bit of investigation and finally tracing the hot supply through the wall into the kitchen under/over/round a few kitchen units and into the utility room there was the fianl connection - reducing tee of the flow on the boiler - according to the owner (who had 'a friend' help to install the new basin) this was the nearest hot supply

I saw the same at my local rugby clubs stewards house the washing machine was not cleaning their clothes :eek:
Someone said he was a plumber so connected the hot water from the flow from the boiler :eek:

Sponsored Links
I have seen it happen a few times. Last time was about 6 weeks ago when I replaced a DV on a combi 80 in a B&B. I turned the filling loop valve off and when someone turned on a hot basin tap the pressure dropped.

This one's even more unbelievable.
Last week I went to troubleshoot a combi fitted by a non corgi.
The complaint was that the boiler was cycling and wouldn't heat the system up after working for 3 weeks. I couldn't be arsed putting it right. I just gave the houseowner the list and told em to get the cowboy back to sort it after swapping the F/R valves around and cleaning the filter.

The list went like this

1 Boiler fitted to a combustible surface
2 System not flushed and 2a no additives used
3 Condensate drain incorrect
4 Not a pipe clip in sight!
5 Gas pipe undersized roughly 7m of 15mm plus elbows
6 No TRV's fitted
7 No boiler interlock
Flow and return valves fitted the wrong way round [The return has a filter that was blocked]
8 No earthing
9 The best [worst] bit : - The flow and return were teed in to an 8mm supply at the nearest rad. The whole system was fed through two 8mm pipes:!:

They paid £200 to get a back boiler removed and the new combi fitted.

A corgi who was there before me offered to replace the gas pipe and was going to call the manufacturer out to replace the PCB.

Now where was he going with that one :?: I'm glad I know a few bits about boilers. It must be a minefield for those householders who dont .

I used my discretion not to ID the boiler on the grounds that the combustible material was only behind the lower part of the boiler below the height of the combustion chamber.

I've said before about the b day I took out that was on central heating water. Good job it wasn't a pressurised system! Would have been interesting trip to Doctor if someone had come along and treated system to a dose of ferroquest then gone for a number two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back