HI FI Speaker repainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've managed to get a pair of secondhand fairly high end Mission 775 Hi Fi speakers.
Quite rare beasts these, and I had to get them even though they are the wrong colour finish for me......

Whats the best way to make rosewood finish black? Its not veneer, just that thin wood look alike plasticy type covering.

I'm considering masking up, a very light sand/clean, and applying a thin coat of black satin emulsion with a small roller.
As long as it sticks should be fine, as they won't be handled much.
No too durable I know, but does anyone have a better suggestion for type of paint?

Cheers,

John

Sponsored Links
If it's a plastic foil wrap, sanding will go through it to the MDF beneath, and emulsion will not stick. I'd go for a single coat on non-drip gloss (not water based).

Or I suppose youi could go to Halfords for aerosol satin black spray.

JohnD said:
If it's a plastic foil wrap, sanding will go through it to the MDF beneath, and emulsion will not stick. I'd go for a single coat on non-drip gloss (not water based).

Or I suppose youi could go to Halfords for aerosol satin black spray.

Maybe just a good clean with white spirit then emulsion maybe?

I thought about Halfords spray myself. Guess it might be a better option as I'm masking them up anyway.
Just thought a small roller would be less messy, and avoid overspray problems

Sponsored Links
Thanx for the Halfords spray suggestion...

After a quick test to ensure they were working, they were firstly wiped off with white spirit to remove any polish.

Took 3 hours to mask up properly, then a light rubbing down with scotchbrite to key the surface.

Then another clean with white spirit to remove all traces of dust.

Applied 3 coats of Halfords Satin Black spray, used 2 cans of 500ml. Think they were 6 quid a can.

Allowed 15 mins between coats, then left for half an hour before carefully removing masking tape. Its best to do this before paint is fully hard so edges peel easier.

Result is superb, they are VERY close in appearance to my other Mission speakers, the woodgrain effect is still there, and paint has adhered very well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back