Cutting slate tiles for kitchen??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am going to attempt to tile our kitchen (that I fitted) mainly due to getting married soon and saving hard!! We have 10x10x0.8 grey slate tiles. My first question is probably an obvious one but....do I tile under sockets or round them?? My second is what is the best way to cut these, I guess a normal tile cutter wont be much good, I want one that I can cut angles with? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks,

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Unscrew the sockets etc and tile upto the metal backboxes, you will probably have to buy longer screws when it comes to refit the sockets (lecky turned off especially while sponging grout)

They can be cut with an electric tile cutter or an anglegrinder with continuous diamond disc.

Make sure you seal the tiles before grouting either with an impregnator which will keep the matt look or an intensifier which will make the tiles glossier and bring out the colour (looks like a tile that is wet)

You will likely need a widejoint grout and an adhesive suitable for natural stone, make sure back of tile is not dusty.

Jason

That's great Jason, many thanks!!! You say I'll need widejoint grout, fairly self explanatory what that is but what sort of gap do I need to leave between tiles (or is this because the tiles are quite deep??). Lastly (sorry about this!!) what sort of trim would you suggest, don't want to spoil the look of the tiles with cheap white plastic stuff??

Thanks again,

Mike.

sealant here

http://www.extensive.co.uk/section.php/18/0

not recommending this site above just giving you an idea of the sealants

btw never seal wet, waxed or oiled slate.....an allow 24 hours drying time

you can get the long screws for the sockets at any tile shops

an of course my old fav Bal
BAL Superflex Widejoint Grout

nearly forgot ..6 - 9mm grout space

Sponsored Links
cheers, don't think these have been treated with anything as they are still dusty, will give them a good go and dry out. What do you professionals use to edge them??

Thanks again, all great stuff!!!

Screwed
you can use trim but if able space permitting you can use (my fav)

Slate Borders........quality decorative slate trim

see at your tile shop ..... for designs ...will give a *BOSS* finish to your work :)

It is possible to mould the widejoint grout into a bull nose by rubbing with a grout float as it starts to go off, I tend to use this method quite a bit on small (100x100) tiles as they tend to need a 5-6mm joint and the rounded corners can leave a gap of upto 10mm. The corner round the ducting in this loo was done that way and the tiles are tumbled marble/glass about 10mm thick.

The Wide joint grout can be a bit trucky to apply to walls so it can be mixed 50/50 with wall grout while still powdered preferably with a whisk type mixer in a cordless drill.

Jason

I remember years ago i was putting quarry tiles down in the kitchen, i could not find a tile cutter large enough to handle them.
I went down to a stone mason, grave stone makers, they cutt the pre-measured tiles for me for a £10 on a industrial stone cutting machine. You just need a brass neck to approach them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back