Drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the forum wondering if I could get a little help.

Starting from the top, I noticed the water level in the toilet bowl is higher than usual, I checked the drain outside (brick hole with iron lid) and found it pretty much full to the brim with waste, checked this site, bought a drain rod and started to prod the hole but it seems clear :eek:

Might be worth mentioning that it's a semi-detached house and the pipe travels towards my neighbours house, could it be there's a blockage somewhere else down the line that has messed up my house too?

Thanks in advance :p

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your pushing the ship the wrong way :LOL:

Did the drain clear when you poked around with the rods.

You can poke with loads of rods to no good effect. I advised this once, 60ft of rods later............ :oops:

A female friend of mine then told me how it should be done :oops: :oops: :oops:

Use a disc on the rods, the right size for the pipe. Push it along the pipe for say 3 rod lenghts, then wang it back and forth as hard as you can. This makes the water act like a hydraulic ram, and shifts the poo.

oilman, I hope your not suggesting he didn't put a plunger on the end. ;) :rolleyes: ;)

Sponsored Links
If your neighbour has a lid, ask his permission to open it and see if it's full or empty. If full, you can give it a prod, if no good, look for the next one.

The blockage will be between the last full and the first empty.

Sometimes it might be e.g. the brickwork has collapsed in one of the pits (esp if people drive their cars around or over it and it was not designed for that) and you will have to lift the bricks out, they won't wash away :LOL:

JohnD said:
The blockage will be between the last full and the first empty.

:LOL:

Depends which way you're going up or downstream, the blocked one is usually where the problem is.

Rod towards the property boundary.

doitall said:
Sounds like your pushing the ship the wrong way :LOL:

Did the drain clear when you poked around with the rods.

:LOL: Nope, didn't clear at all, my friend thinks it's best to attach his rods to mine, and keep going! Alternatively I could refrain from using any facilities in my house for a week and see if it fixes itself :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back