Rest position of 3port valve - ANSWERED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a repeat question of another I have placed, but I have tried to simplify it. Hope this does not break any forums rules?

If the rest position of a 3port valve is B and not A, how do I rewire the valve to correspond to the new layout?

There is a link to forum rules on every page Rules

If I let you do it, I have to let every one do it

Sponsored Links
You can't rewire it in any other way. The rest position can't be anything other than HW ony. It relies on the white wire to get it to mid point and the grey wire to take it from mid point to CH only.
The whole valve can be installed incorrectly but you can't correct that by a change to the wiring.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi, Thanks for the responses.

Today the cavalry arrived. The plumber said that the valve (the T-Junction) had been put on the way round (A - to the cylinder, B - to the heating), and it needs to be changed. This explains why I was getting heating only from the rest position.

The first plumber, who did not fill me with confidence, must have changed the valve. Originally I thought he had only changed the actuator head. Apologies for the miss information.

Today's plumber said he tells apprentices that an easy way to remember the way the valve goes is B should always go to the cylinder, remembering "B is for Bath".

Finally can I just say thank you to those who responded, I appreciate all the advise and although I did not manage to solve the problem myself, hopefully your advise will help other readers, it certainly taught me more about my system, which can only be a good thing.

When we advise you we try to give good advice!

Sponsored Links
Glad to hear it's sorted at last. It's a shame the other post appears to have been deleted.
I thought the problem was going to be in the wiring based on the information given. Anyhow it's all good stuff for exercising the brain.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back