change boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have large victorian end terrace house. The existing boiler is Glow Warm 105-120 open flue boiler.This supplies hot water and feeds 15 radiators over 3 floors.

No problems with the boiler, old betsy never lets us down. This boiler is situated in the old fireplace in the large kitchen with the s/steel flue running up the centre brick chimney stack.

However with so many green issues we are considering a more friendly boiler i.e a condensing boiler. I gather these boilers will not tolerate a vertical flue of plus 6 mts. There is only one place on the ground floor to fit a wall mounted boiler and that means a balanced flue out of the gable wall onto a public pedestrian footpath, albeit at a height of 2.5-3mts above ground level.
Does any know if a more efficient boiler can be installed in the original boiler position.

Does anyone know of a combi-boiler, condensing boiler that has worked for ten years and more without needing any spare parts. Cause thats the last time the Glow Warm boiler needed a gas valve and a pilot light thermocouple.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know of a combi-boiler, condensing boiler that has worked for ten years and more without needing any spare parts. Cause thats the last time the Glow Warm boiler needed a gas valve and a pilot light thermocouple. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
to be honest no they stopped making reliable combis at least 10 years ago
as for condensing boilers :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: .have a look at the top end of the market along the lines of viessman,buderus,atag just to name a few,only one name that springs to mind in the mainstream makers would be worcester any cheaper ones and you may have probs others will dispute the makes i have suggested but it is only my opinion and you are more than welcome to disagree :LOL: :LOL:

Anything against current Vaillants bripl?

Ask us after ten years!! An early Isar (of all things?) I put in hasn't had any attention at all, since what, 5 years ago? Luck of the draw, to a point!

ChrisR said:
An early Isar (of all things?) I put in hasn't had any attention at all, since what, 5 years ago? Luck of the draw, to a point!

is that because its in your house?

Sponsored Links
chris i have not had the pleasure of fitting or working on a valliant since the mid nineties 242/282vcw i think, so cannot comment,as far as the isar pulled two out, a couple of weeks ago and replaced with greenstars 28i jnrs.in fairness to the isars they were thrown in very badly not really the boilers fault had quite a few new parts but had never been looked after properly owner was fed up throwing money at them so replaced them and tidied up the installations with boiler buddys and upgraded the gas lines with filters copper sulphide is a BIG problem here :rolleyes: the jnr are a budget boiler been fitting them since launch and not had a prob with them at all[not even a hw flow switch]

I have found that glow worm make a condensing boiler that can live with a 10 mt vertical flue. Will get more info. from makers.

ChrisR wrote:
An early Isar (of all things?) I put in hasn't had any attention at all, since what, 5 years ago? Luck of the draw, to a point!

is that because its in your house?
No mate, mine's a 23 or something year old Netaheat - also never had any favourable treatment!

Ivanhoe I think there are a few which can have a long vertical flue, but you wouldn't want to shove all those concentric sections up a chimney?? :D
Someone does one which takes the air in at low level and shoves the exhaust up a tall thing, iirc.

viessman do a special liner that drops down an existing chimney i do believe,my policy is to keep it as simple as poss and flues as short as poss saves problems in the long term:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back