central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need your help!!

DHW went from being fine to cold.

Boiler is ok, as is motorized valve, tank thermostat and pump.

It went from piping hot, for my bath, to ice cold for my poor British Airways Stewardess housemate.

We can't let this poor girl continue to suffer, any ideas

Fitted the system myself in 93, and is regularly serviced. Which bit do I change first??

Regards

Mike

Sponsored Links
It went from piping hot, for my bath, to ice cold for my poor British Airways Stewardess housemate.

We can't let this poor girl continue to suffer, any ideas

I agree. Dont let her suffer especially if she is fit! Send her round here she can get in the tub with me ;)

How long did you wait for the water in the cylinder to heat up after you used it?

Feel the flow pipe leading to the cylinder is it hot?

There could be a vent on that pipe needs bleeding

Boiler is ok, as is motorized valve, tank thermostat and pump.
How do you know this?

Thank you for the replies, and yes! Of course she is fit, and is currently in HKG, so have only Friday to sort this, or will need your details so that I can send her round, to use your Bath!!

From the format of others, more details.
Boiler Ideal Mexico super 2.
Motorized valve Drayton 3 port diverter.
Pump Grundfos super selectric.
Tank thermostat Honeywell.

Radiators still nice and hot, DHW still nice and cold.

Flow side of DHW into tank coil is hot, return is cool.

Tried to suck water through the expansion pipe in the attic with a wet-n-dry vacuum, and nothing.??

The self bleeding vent valve on the primary circuit looks gunged up, so got a new one today and will fit tomorrow. will let you know the out come.

Could the coil in the tank be knackered? It is about 20 years old??

Thanks again for your help, can recommend living with BA lonhaul Stewies, great girls, and a selection of them have been sharing with me for the last 11 years!!

Regards

Mike

Sponsored Links
What about the cylinder thermostat???

My fiancee used to share with BA cabin crew but I remember the only good thing about them was that they were away a lot of the time!!!

I seem to remember they used deodourants instead of washing themselves, NEVER did any washing up, cleaning or cooking and never offered anyone a cup of coffee!!!

Tony

The cylinder thermostat is also working, can hear it click on and off, also can hear it activating the pump.

Ba Stewies are great, took the view after the divorce, that if I had to rent rooms out, that the tenants should both look and smell better than I do.

They cook, clean, and when away do my duty free shopping, AND they pay me to be here, but they are here on average only 9-11 days a month!!

But I do have to make sure they have hot water, so all suggestions welcome.

Regards

Mike

so have only Friday to sort this, or will need your details so that I can send her round, to use your Bath!!

Can't think for the life of me what that could be!

Well ya must have known that was comin :LOL:

Ok so the water isnt getting far past the diverter valve and back down the return.
Most likely cause is that air vent you were on about. Its more common to see a manual air vent there. Because I can't see it then it may be best to replace like for like as you intend.
After that you are indeed looking for a blockage which is most likely to be somewhere near the top connection but could be anywhere.
Dont rule out the possibility that the diverter valve could be stuck in the heating position and/or there is a blockage in the hot water side of it.

You seem capable and well conversant with your system so I have every confidence that I will be sharing my tub with the spiders that land in it as usual this weekend

sterling said:
Tried to suck water through the expansion pipe in the attic with a wet-n-dry vacuum, and nothing.??

By "expansion pipe" I presume you mean the vent pipe? The 22mm one, bent over the top of the F&E tank?

Sounds like a blockage in the F&E pipe, which should supply water into the system. In which case there is probably a shortage of water. There may be some other problem as well.

If you increase the water level in the F&E by an inch or two, then draw some water out of a drain-off, does the level in the F&E tank drop by an equivalent amount?

If you try to bleed an upstairs rad, does water squirt out?

BTW I doubt that the Cart Grils will want to travel all the way to Pakistan to share a bath with Sluggy.

BTW I doubt that the Cart Grils will want to travel all the way to Pakistan to share a bath with Sluggy.

I'm not in Pakistan I'm in Middlesbrough where you can smell curry a lot ,so its a bit like Pakistan.
If you are right JohnD it looks like she could be going to Hampshire for a bath and I will be eating the other pack of Kippers for breakfast :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:cry: Damn it, you foiled my plan :cry:

Thank you all for your suggestions, did not manage to fit the new vent today, that pesky day job does get in the way.

Will drain a rad downstairs, and see if the expansion tank level drops, will isolate the feed first.

water does though come out of the rads when i bleed them.

I hate plumbing, give me a house re-wire anytime!!

Will keep you posted, so do I send her North or South??

Many thanks
Mike

If there is a blockage, it is most often in the Tee where the 15mm F&E pipe joins the 22mm (or 28mmm) circulating pipes. Best thing is to cut it out, poke it clear, and fit a new compression Tee (it is very difficult to re-solder a wet pipe).

Then add a chemical cleaner. If you can spare £100 or so, fit a Magnaclean if you find black sediment anywhere. Otherwise, it will only circulate round until it can find another place to block.

I hope you also have an immersion heater to keep the cylinder hot?

Just think how awful it would be if you just had a Combi :LOL:

sterling said:
water does though come out of the rads when i bleed them.

Will keep you posted, so do I send her North or South??

:rolleyes: That keeps me hopefull that she is coming North ;)

I have another pack of out of date kippers as a back up if the need to smell fish gets the better of me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As always, I appreciate all the suggestions, Well she is back from HKG, and thankfully we do have a functioning immersion heater, was meant to have the rest of the month off, so at least I could do some work on my own house. But no, my customers all have pre-Christmas problems, so am having to put them first.

BUT will get back to you all and tell you what caused this problem!

Thank you all again.

Best regards

Mike :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back