Installation of new DHW and Central Heating system

corgiman said:
Water Systems said:
ChrisR said:
Water Systems :roll: said:
A full-bore stop-tap is madatory in some installations to improve pressureand flow.

Not mandatory, it's prohibited. Contravenes water regulations to use one. Simply use a bigger stop cock if its resistance is significant.

Some water companies were charging £80 to change to one. Kent for e.g.

A bigger stop cock is better than the old tap, as they have the integral backflow prevention.

WOW

I nearly fell over, is this a climb down WS???????????? surely not as you know everything ;)

No climb down at all. Water companies are fitting full-bore valves.

Sponsored Links
oh ok my mistake

no offence I am sure

I jhave edited my own post as it was not appropriate

The council and the engineer's supervisor came to inspect the installation today

- they agreed to move the outlet pipe for the pressure relief so the condensate trap can be opened

- the supervisor claims the system was properly flushed and inhibitor added and that water samples have been sent to sentinal (ps. i didn't see the installers take any samples of water?!?!?). there is no record of the inhibitor in the benchmark sheet.

- the supervisor was in complete denial that the gas pressures need to be checked and says this doesn't need to be filled into the benchmark sheet. he said something about the boiler being fully modulating and that it works on its own blah blah blah.

- the gas rate filled in the benchmark sheet says 2.94m3/hr. the boiler's manual clearly says the boiler musn't be operated outside the limits of 3.6 to 4.2 m3/hr. I dont think the installers even checked the rate they seemed to have made it up from somewhere, but i might be wrong?!??!.

- CO/CO2 ratio part of the benchmark sheet has not been filled in.

- they filled the DHW flow rate as 15.2lts/min when inlet temp is 10degrees and outlet temp is 50degrees. this doesn't make sense to me because the boilers spec says it can only provide 15.2lts at a temp rise of 35degrees. i think this was also made up (not very cleverly). if you read my earlier post the water flow measured throught the boiler when switched off was only 13.5lts/min, and at present i work it out as 13.5ish; so i don't understand how they got 15.2. i am not too bothered about the fact that i'm getting 1.5litres less than i should, its just that i'm worried they haven't done the commissioning properly.

- the filling pipe has also been left conected, according to vaillant this should be detached...does it really matter?

- sure enough plastic pipes under the floor downstairs were left sagging - the supervisor denied that these need proper securing - theres not much i could say, because this wasn't written downin the original quote.

- they also dissapeared off last friday with the bottom cover for the boiler. when i told the suervisor this, he first said the boiler doesnt have one, then when i showed him the book, he said they'll sort something out. i'm not really too bothered about this because the boiler's in the airing cupboard, so no one sees it anyway.

i'm thinking of getting CORGI to come and inspect the job, however will they check if the boiler has been properly commissioned?? or do they just check if there are gas leaks...etc...

the good news is that the rads all get warm and my house is now warm again. i have nice warm water whenever i want, and even if 2, 3 or even 4 taps are opened. showers are also nice (abit like needles though), and dont even go hot-cold-hot-cold when taps are opened. this system is also a lot quiter than my old gravity fed system with a boiler that had a pump that sounded like a steam train. :)

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back