Boilermate II Blockage

What you have to do is phone around untill you find someone thats is familiar with sludge buckets (Gledhill boilermate II) then lock him in the cupboard untill he's ripped it out and installed a proper cylinder.

Water Systems comes to mind, do an diynot search for him.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
I've signed up and they can do the yearly maintenance for me.
ROFLMAO.gif

Unless something has changed:
  • They don't check inhibitor levels
    They don't put inhibitor in
    They don't cover blockages or other problems due to sludge
    They do tell you your boiler needs replacing

they are undrer no obligation to do the first two under the contract.

you will get your first blockage free of charge and will continue to do so as long as you do what ever they recommend to prevent further blockages. it may mean a powerflush but as long as you dont leave contract and have inhbitor put in yearly the powerflush is guaranteed for life. how many of you are offering that?

the last point is more of the same old tired BG bashing.

if your cold feed is blocked on a boilermate its usually terminal....i dont even bother trying to unblock it now after many unsuccessful attempts.

backfilling is a temporary measure. the best thing to do is connect a 15mm pipe between the feed and expansion tank and the drainoff at the bottom of the tank. i have many of these fixes working for many years now without any problems.

if there are a lot of boilermates in his area the BG engineer should be well aware of this fix

Thanks to everyone who helped. British Gas did manage to fix it, it's not sludge as apparently these sorts of systems don't get sludge. He said it was something that had got into the system, just some general dirt.

Unfortunately he did manage to flood my conservatory - you would think that when he said 'this system is taking a huge amount of water to fill, is anything open' he'd have gone round and checked.....

But, I have heat, I have hot water, and I don't have a huge bill, even though he was there 6 hours.

Thanks again for your support and information peeps. :p

chillyinGrays said:
Thanks to everyone who helped. British Gas did manage to fix it, it's not sludge as apparently these sorts of systems don't get sludge. He said it was something that had got into the system, just some general dirt.

Unfortunately he did manage to flood my conservatory - you would think that when he said 'this system is taking a huge amount of water to fill, is anything open' he'd have gone round and checked.....

But, I have heat, I have hot water, and I don't have a huge bill, even though he was there 6 hours.

Thanks again for your support and information peeps. :p

dont sludge?!?! thats an interesting statement....ive got plenty of evidence to the contrary.

however at least its sorted. id get used to long visits with your system as draing and refilling tose tanks can be a long drawn out affair sometimes

Sponsored Links
I've long since lost count of the number of people who have had BG3* for eons, never any inhibitor added, are told when sludge blocks their system that it isn't covered, and then their boiler's "too old" so they should have a new one.

Same tired old BG I'm afraid.

That's without the rogues - like the one who left a thermocouple away from the pilot in an old woman's flat telling the son "It could GO at any time". The pilot went out after a month - clever bit of timing.

ChrisR said:
I've long since lost count of the number of people who have had BG3* for eons, never any inhibitor added, are told when sludge blocks their system that it isn't covered, and then their boiler's "too old" so they should have a new one.

Same tired old BG I'm afraid.

That's without the rogues - like the one who left a thermocouple away from the pilot in an old woman's flat telling the son "It could GO at any time". The pilot went out after a month - clever bit of timing.

wrong. it is covered for the first fault...e.g. blocked pipe or rad. if you then ignore the remedial advice given then yes it is not covered. cant really say fairer than that can you?

the BG contract works in a very different way to an independant turning up to do a service/repair once or twice a year. very few of BG's critics take that into account. like any company they have their good and bad employees.

BG are under no obligation to inhibit the system on a regular basis although as a rule if substantial work has been done and water drained out then it should be inhibited as a matter of course during refilling.

as always i would suggest the customer/critic should read the terms and conditions of any contract to make sure of their position.....from experience very few do.

nickso said:
if your cold feed is blocked on a boilermate its usually terminal....i dont even bother trying to unblock it now after many unsuccessful attempts.

It is NOT terminal at all.

backfilling is a temporary measure. the best thing to do is connect a 15mm pipe between the feed and expansion tank and the drainoff at the bottom of the tank. i have many of these fixes working for many years now without any problems.

So it is not terminal then.

Water Systems said:
nickso said:

It is NOT terminal at all.

So it is not terminal then.

i meant for the cold feed pipe. thanks for the pedantry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back