Ho Ho Flippin Ho obviously Santa hasn't had heating problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I am about to rip out my central heating and return to the stone age of gas fires and lots of blankets!!! I really have had enough of this system and it is frustrating the heck out of me, i am NOT looking forward to a Christmas of "Dad its cold" and "Nag nag nag yadda yadda" :eek: :D

Can anyone offer advice:

2 Zone (up and down), fully pumped (three zone valves) 8 rooms, conventional rads in 3, skirting rads in 3. No TRV's. 1 pump, boiler 3 years old.

The index radiator (skirting rad in living room, of all rooms!) has ALWAYS been cold no matter what I did with the other valves. (have almost given up on this! and bought an electric fire!)

1 of the normal rads was badly sludged up, so I removed, flushed, replaced and added some X400 (2 litres) to the system

1 week later after running all hot, I drained down (water initially black then clear). The header tank drained to reveal about an inch of orrible guano at the bottom. I bunged the feed hole and cleaned this rubbish out, refilled with water and 2 litres of X100.

Now the all the rads are fine, but 2 of the downstairs rads are freezing cold (not including the skirting rad in the front room which has Always been cold).

I'm sitting in my coat....ready to take a baseball bat to the heating "to teach it a lesson" anybody got any ideas before I get done for GBH to a boiler?

Sponsored Links
if you turn all the working rads off does it make any difference

...no....

but I just tried to bleed the pump and guess what, a tiny bit of air came out and...... :D :D :D looks like I am back in her good books, got the two bad ones working!

However, I still have that issue with the index rad, even if i turn off all the rads (can't turn off 2 of the skirting rads, as they are seized solid) the living room is freezing cold....but it can't be blocked, as I drained the system from it this morning????

When the water came out, it gently ran rather than gushed, could the return pipe be blocked? Are these skirting heaters plumbed in series, or parallel???

Neil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back