Range Powermax 185 - Annoying Lock Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening experts.

Whilst I'm not considering touching the boiler myself, I would like to be clued up enough to spot a "less knowledgable" plumber when I try to find a good one in my area, so any pointers would be much appreciated.

My five year old Range Powermax 185 keeps switching itself off and displaying the amber "LOCK OUT" indicator. It runs fine through the summer, heating water and warming the radiators on cold evenings, but gets temperamental in the winter.

I can get it going again by switching it off (on the timed/cont switch) and back on again 10 seconds later (to either timed or cont) and it will light the green light and burn away for 30 minutes until everything is warm. Then it stops heating and waits. When it needs to fire up again it tries, but ends up locked out again.

If it helps at all, it has a Pektron Multiple Ignition Attempt Control with the number ASS-0569G04A printed on it and a valve (?) with Johnson Controls S29AGB on it.

Finally, am I asking too much if I try to find a plumber who has experience with this model (I understand that the 135 is quite different) or should any experienced boiler man be able to diagnose and fix my fault?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you find a boiler engineer rather than a plumber.

Not everyone is familiar or experienced with your model so you must ask the question before engaging someone.

You could consider calling Baxi Potterton but they may be more expensive.

I would assume that you have never had it serviced for several years and that may be all that it needs.

Alternatively there may be a fault on the boiler or the ignition PCB.

Tony

it sounds like the boiler needs a service and the electrode needs a clean. when the electrode gets dirty it stops recognizing a flame thus causing the boiler to go to lock out. you could try home care services on 01442 247248 they specialize in powermax's

Agile said:
You could consider calling Baxi Potterton but they may be more expensive.
Never heard of that company - do you mean Baxi Potterton ® ?

Sponsored Links
First service on a powermax?...that'll be 300.00 please sir:

pmax1.jpg

pmax.jpg

bummer.

knackered turbulators isnt it?

Problem solved!! Eventually.

As it didn't seem to be a straightforward problem, I signed up for a "we'll fix it for £168 or you won't pay a penny" deal off t'internet.

Glad I did - 16 days of hassle, seven visits, four different engineers, one new spark electrode, one HT lead and finally a replacement burner and the lock out problem appears to have been sorted. Engineer knowledge certainly varied. The first one tried removing the control off an upstairs TRV and watching the boiler for an hour (perhaps he couldn't find the turbulators)! The last one knew his stuff.

Point taken about the servicing. That'll be my first resolution for 2007.

Thanks for (some of!) the advice.

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back