Vaillant VCW-sine 18 pilot wont stay on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a VCW-sine 18 boiler. We were out all day today and when we got in the pilot light was out. Tried to relight it and it goes on but when we release the green button it goes straight out again. We're in rented accomodation and our landlord says no heating/hot water is not an emergency. Maybe not, but it's freezing! Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If I was in rented, I would expect a more positive reaction

it sounds like the thermocouple needs replacing

a fairly cheap and straightforward job, I would think

Agree with Raden about the likely cause but I think he's understating the Landlord bit.
Call him in the morning and DEMAND that he gets someone to fix it the same day. Anything else is not acceptable. The cost of rental is related to the fact that you have heating there.
These guys get away with murder but only if you let them.

Same day might not be doable - whether you own the place or not, but you should be able to get it fixed withing a couple. The thermocouple's a special one.

Sponsored Links
The Environmental Health attitude is that its not fit for human occupation without running hot water! But of course I dont know if you are human!

Legally many problem tenants expect it fixed by the end of the next working day or they are staying in a hotel at the landlord's expense ( paid as deduction from the rent ) but you do have to warn him in writing before you go into the hotel.

Tenants on social housing who are not paying a market rent do not have such luxury and have to rely on an EHO coming to inspect in 5-10 days time and then give the landlord 14 days to get it sorted out.

A much better ploy is to advise the landlord and get your own engineer to fix it and deduct the cost from the rent. We do a lot of those repairs!

Tony

thanks everyone. we were tempted to contact someone ourselves about fixing it, but the landlord has been so unhelpful didn't wanna take the risk of us having to pay the bill! i'm waiting to here the latest update from my housemate

Well I was holding back a bit

I have a tendency to be a bit agressive

As others have pointed out, really you have a right to heating and hot water. It is not your responsibility, but your landlords to make sure that it is working. Unless you have concrete reasons for hoding back - illegal immigrant or some such - the law is on your side

Nope no illegal immigrants here...

Our letting agency spoke to our landlord today, and they said he is adament there is nothing wrong with the boiler! They had the cheek to ask if we had run out of gas (we have a meter), we haven't by the way.

So anyway, it's still not fixed. The landlord's handy man is coming round tomorrow to 'fix' it!

But he don`t have to be corgi does he? If the landlord thinks him competant, he can do whatever he likes! :eek: Water Systems, the ball`s in your court.

yes apart from health reasons as agile mentioned, it was advertised when renting the flat so if it doesnt work then neither does rent payment!

You'd be surprised how quickly your landlord will get it sorted if you threaten to hold rent. He probably needs that money to pay the mortgage each month!

Ignore Water Systems, if the handyman wants to start opening the inner workings of the boiler then dont let him unless he shows you his CORGI card.

He can fiddle with the user controls but NOT anything to do with gas or safety devices.

Have you seen the Gas Safety Inspection Certificate? You are entitled to a copy and your landlord must have one by law. Ask the Agent where it is and if they have let the property without one ask them why and threaten to report them! ( To the Council for a start and then to any professional society they are members of ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back