cold water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a long-standing problem in the loft with the cold water tank. The level seems too high and sometimes drips slowly from the overflow pipe outside. I changed the ball-valve but the problem is still there. also, when i open the iso valve the incoming pipe vibrates as the tank refills - PLEASE HELP !!!

Sponsored Links
did you bend\adjust the ball valve to acheive the required height (couple of inches below the overflow pipe) when you replaced it?

is the tank supplying the cylinder or the heating system?

I haven't bent it yet. should that be easy?? Does the size of the ball matter too?

it's supplying the cold water for the whole house and the hot water cylinder

Sponsored Links
run a hot tap for couple of minutes so the water level in the tank drops and thus opening the valve, get ito loft and check the level when the valve closes, if it starts overflowing before the valve closes or its very close to overflowing when it does close you will need to adjust the float arm so that it closes about 2-3 inches before the overflow level.

hope this helps :)

If the feed pipe is vibrating it sounds like it could do with a few more fixing clips here and there, say every metre or so. Or has the pipe been sprung out of it's clips?

davidgsmith said:
I haven't bent it yet. should that be easy?? Does the size of the ball matter too?

If it is a new one perhaps it is plastic. You don't bend the arm, you will find an screw-in adjuster on the end, you turn that.

However if it is all brass like this you can bend the arm downwards.
p1034304_l.jpg

There might have been a slip of paper with instructions on it in the packing when you bought it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back